Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some LS1 edit help BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some LS1 edit help BAD!

I am about to finish my 94 Z28/LS1 swap. I am using an LS1 motor, tranny, wire harness, and pcm from a wrecked 99 Z28. My car is a 94 Z28, I am using the key and steering colum out of it. Here is my problem: I turn the key and nothing happens. I think ok it is the VATS 94 key (chip), and a 99 pcm. After reading some VATS related threads here I tend to think other wise. Some have said the car starts only to die seconds later. Mine will do nothing! So I order up some LS1 edit thinking my problem will be solved. I purchase a brand new laptop only to later have the LS1 edit cables arrive with differet connectors then my laptop (which has 3 USB ports) I bought an adapter thinking the problem is solved, plug it all in the the LS1 edit software will not connect!! What gives? Someone please help before I push the car out of the shop and light her on fire!! Thanks

<small>[ August 25, 2002, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: LS194z ]</small>
Old 08-25-2002, 04:35 AM
Teching In

Default Re: I need some LS1 edit help BAD!

Come on guys, someone has got to have an opinion!
Old 08-25-2002, 04:55 AM
On The Tree

Just a thought: Does the Body Control Module need to be in play for what your doing?

Ron
Old 08-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I have no idea? Where is it located? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2002, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

On my 99 there is a Body Control Module "BCM". It's even been called "The Black Box". On a 99 TA it is located center dash area; behind the radio.

One of the BCM's functions is vehicle security. I don't think it's easily bypased. The little chip/resister thing in the key works with the BCM. ... This is more than I know.

Not seeing what you've got makes it hard to help.

What about just jumping the starter relay to get it motoring over and see if she'll light!

Ron
Old 08-25-2002, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

In regards to the BCM you will need to find the resistor value that is mated to it - you can get this using the vin number and going to the dealership. You will then need to get your key cut with the appropriate resistor, or permanently solder the resistor in place and use only the key for security.

In regards to ls1 edit, you need a serial port. Your laptop doesn't have one. You can try the USB -> serial adapters, though from what I hear you may need to try a few. i have heard the belkin unit has worked before, and B&B sells one for use with autotap - this one may also work.

Chris
Old 08-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Teching In

I guess Im not real concerned with the BCM, I can disable it (VATS)with the LS1 edit. I do have the belkin adapter, which did not work. I have tried all 3 USB ports on the laptop, and all 4 comm port options in the LS1 edit settings menu. So maybe this adapter does not want to work with my set up?