Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Ping

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Ping

I have a 01 c5 auto w/borla zr-1 catback,1030 throttlebody,vortect rammer cai,car runs fine without the hypertech,as soon as i program in the hypertech,i have tried several different options within hypertech,the valvetrain pings,tried different gas,same.

Can anyone give me any suggestions,or ideas on how to fix this? thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum.

Valvetrain ping? Do you mean when you floor it the engine is pinging/knocking? It is a very unpleasant sound with hesitating. When does it happen? Does it happen all the time or just when you go WOT (Wide Open Throttle, flooring it)? Could you give more detail?

I think that's strange because the hypertech programming doesn't change the timing by very much at all. Make sure you take your foot off the gas whenever it pings, because it's not good for the engine.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Teching In

when i floor it,it doesnt ping as bad,mostly 3/4 throttle,with no hesitation,doesnt throw any codes,no noticeable performance decrease.
could it be running too lean?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This one is stumping me. Yes it's a possibility, you will get pinging/knocking if you are either too lean or you're running too much timing. Obviously the hypertech is changing something that the engine doesn't like. I just can't figure out why... yet.