PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with PCM identification?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with PCM identification?

How can I determine what year the PCM is in my 2000 Trans-Am. I'm sure you are laughing right now at that stupid qustions

Here's the deal. I've got a Hypertech that I use to scan for codes. I'll plug in the Hypertech and it will say, "Power programer has programmed VIN # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx." And this matches my VIN number. It will then flash across the screen a different VIN# and it happens so fast that I can't record it however I know it is different than my VIN#. Do I have a different PCM?

I bought my car with mail order tuning from Street & Performance, Mena, Arkansaw. Is it common for PCM's to get switched up? Sorta like a core charge system?

I would like to buy some tuning software, used, perferably. So how can I tell what year my PCM is?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squealingtires
How can I determine what year the PCM is in my 2000 Trans-Am. I'm sure you are laughing right now at that stupid qustions

Here's the deal. I've got a Hypertech that I use to scan for codes. I'll plug in the Hypertech and it will say, "Power programer has programmed VIN # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx." And this matches my VIN number. It will then flash across the screen a different VIN# and it happens so fast that I can't record it however I know it is different than my VIN#. Do I have a different PCM?

I bought my car with mail order tuning from Street & Performance, Mena, Arkansaw. Is it common for PCM's to get switched up? Sorta like a core charge system?

I would like to buy some tuning software, used, perferably. So how can I tell what year my PCM is?
If you were able to get the VIN, then you could know the model, year, transmission, ect. If you have the time, then take the PCM to an automotive store. They maybe able to help. I can use AutoTap to determine VIN's. If you have AT try that.

It is very probabile that whoever tuned that PCM didn't set the VIN to yours. Did you order a seperate PCM or did you have yours reprogramed? Maybe he just accepted yours as a core and picked one out of a lot to program and send back.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll try to get the V(N

I guess I can try to get the mysterious VIN# by booting up the Hypertech several times and each time recording the number incrementally. Or perhaps I'll videotape the bootup sequence. I never really thought about being able to reprogram the VIN# but I guess anything is possible.

Can you also reprogram the year? Lets say I have a 2000 LS1 computer and I can get a super deal on a 2001 software tuning package. What is to keep someone from just reprogramming their year so that the software package recognizes the new year based upon the license agreement? If I understand correctly, you generally buy a software license and it is only valid for one particular model year.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I know that you can program any VIN into the PCM.

I think the difference between the years is that each year is a different operating system version. I have been told you can load a 2002 operating system into a 1999 PCM.

I guess if you had the equipment you could do whatever you wanted to.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I know that you can program any VIN into the PCM.

I think the difference between the years is that each year is a different operating system version. I have been told you can load a 2002 operating system into a 1999 PCM.

I guess if you had the equipment you could do whatever you wanted to.

Quick Reply: Need help with PCM identification?