Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD II

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II

My 2002 is stock, cat back and a few other bolt ons. I'm looking for the best code reader/scanner. I've seen some that just read engine trouble codes (SES)and some read body and chassis, ABS codes. Is there one that reads everything? If not, what one would you recomend? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Default Re: OBD II

If you have a decent laptop I would recommend AutoTap. Many of the site sponsers sell it. You install the software into your laptop and an cable is provided to connect your laptop to your under dash service port. Very easy to use, it will read all DTCs plus much, much more. I don't know what I'd do without it....
Old 12-16-2002, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OBD II

I have a handheld scan tool. It's the KalEquip 9615. $400. It only does generic codes though so it is limited. It does show current and pending codes as well as the freeze frame data that was stored at the time a DTC goes set. It also does the "view data" function which is real time data. They do recommend that you don't use the tool while driving down the Pacific Coast Highway while talking on your cell phone. Actron also now offers a new model 9640 which does the "Enhanced" codes as well and some Bi-directional commands. $700. If you have a laptop AutoTap is the way to go. It makes a handheld scan tool look like an abacus. There is no comparison. It's like an oscope, but better because of all the graphs and charts. For the money go with AutoTap if you have a laptop. I've also read where you can get a 50' cable so if you don't have a laptop and you can get you vehicle within 50' of your PC you can still use AutoTap.