Sponsored by:

Does AutoTap read ABS DTCs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 02:39 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does AutoTap read ABS DTCs

My ABS Inop light is on but no codes. I am getting 4.78 volts to the speed sensors and have good circuit and 0 ohms.

I hooked up AutoTap but there are no codes set. But I am not sure if ABS DTC codes are set by the ECBM and not by the ECM module and if they can be read by AutoTap.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:11 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Does AutoTap read ABS DTCs

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

No your scanner cannot query other modules in the car such as the ABS.

The only scanner that reads all modules (signal sets) is the one I use the Ease Pro version that also supports all body and chassie modules.

Otherwise you need a GM Tech II for it also can query ABS.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:13 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Since I rebuilt the rear end I the light came on. Somehow the master cylinder sensor cable was disconnected. I don't know how - I did add fluid to the clutch resevoir but find it hard to believe I could have disconnected the cable without knowing it.

So, assuming that all the other sensors and cables are OK and that the only problem with the ABS is that the master cylinder sensor cable was diconnected, then should I expect a code?

If the ABS Inop light was on because of the disconnected master cylinder cable and I reconnected the cable should I expect the ABS Inop light to turn off right away or over a few engine cycles?
Old 01-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Restricted User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by FlamnTA:
<strong> My ABS Inop light is on but no codes. I am getting 4.78 volts to the speed sensors and have good circuit and 0 ohms.

I hooked up AutoTap but there are no codes set. But I am not sure if ABS DTC codes are set by the ECBM and not by the ECM module and if they can be read by AutoTap. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess you already have an AutoTap interface cable. You can use EFILiveV5 (which will work with your interface cable) to check DTC's on any module in your vehicle.

The free eval version (unregistered) will allow you to query and display DTC's for any module - so long as you know the module ID.
You can obtain a list of modules and their ID's by running the "On board modules" (Shift-F4) command.
It will list your onborad modules and their respective ID's.
Then go to Properties Advanced tab page and enter a comma seperated list of module ID's you wish to query.
By default it is set to $10 (your PCM) but you could add the ABS, say it was $28 then the entry would look like: $10,$28

Warning - EFILiveV5 is only designed to read and interact with the LS1 PCM. This feature (DTC's from other nodes) is not officially supported but the functionality has been included anyway.
The descriptions for non PCM trouble codes are not be available but you should still see the code.

Regards
Paul

Quick Reply: Does AutoTap read ABS DTCs