Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock sensors

i got a bad code for a knock sensor... what are they for and is it very important that i change this?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Iam2bewit
i got a bad code for a knock sensor... what are they for and is it very important that i change this?
Knock sensors detect, well, knock. They basically listen for detonation (pinging) and if any is detected they'll pull timing to protect your engine. It's definitely something you want to fix. You can do a search, but I believe if one goes bad it puts your car in a safety mode and pulls 4 degrees of timing across the board (guys that know more help me out here).

There are two of them and the code you threw will tell you which one went bad.
Our cars are notorious for knock sensors and/or the harness going bad due to water collecting under your intake manifold and basically ruining them.

This is definitely something you should fix yourself. Otherwise you'll end up paying for a ridiculous amount of labor to remove the intake manifold. When you fix it I'd recommend replacing both knock sensors as well as the wiring harness (they're not expensive) while the manifold is off. Put some RTV around the sensor caps so water won't be able to get in again.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Iam2bewit
Knock sensors detect, well, knock. They basically listen for detonation (pinging) and if any is detected they'll pull timing to protect your engine. It's definitely something you want to fix. You can do a search, but I believe if one goes bad it puts your car in a safety mode and pulls 4 degrees of timing across the board (guys that know more help me out here).

There are two of them and the code you threw will tell you which one went bad. Our cars are notorious for knock sensors and/or the harness going bad due to water collecting under your intake manifold and basically ruining them.

This is definitely something you should fix yourself. If not you'll end up paying for a ridiculous amount of labor because you have to remove the intake manifold to get to them. When you fix it I'd recommend replacing both knock sensors as well as the wiring harness (they're not expensive) while the manifold is off. Put some RTV around the sensor caps so water won't be able to get in again.

Good luck!