PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do LS1 Camaro's have "learning" PCM's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do LS1 Camaro's have "learning" PCM's?

Somebody please help me out here. I'm a bit new to the PCM learning deal for LS1 powered cars. I know for imports like DSM's and WRX's the cars PCM will adjust the AF ratio and timing curve for increases in airflow up to a point. Is the PCM in the Camaro the same way? I know after you get to a certain point the PCM can no longer adjust fuel/timing curves because the airflow has increased so much. Please help me out here.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes...25% either way i think
Old 02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the PCM can learn part throttle fuel curves (add/remove fuel based on O2 readings) and it can learn a "knock learn factor" to determine how close to the high or low octane tables it will be (it's not a binary high octane or low octane... unless in Speed Density w/a non custom OS)
Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think he's referring to airflow and the maf. Correct, it'll work up until a certain point. With the addition of your heads and cam the pcm will see the increased airflow and counteract by adding more fuel, the timing cells it'll hit will usually have the same value. As with any mods, the pcm will only be so accurate and a good tune recomended to fine tune your part throttle and wot values to get the most out of your car.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help; that was pretty much what I was thinking. I don't think I'll get a tune; it's just not worth the money. With the LS6 heads + cam the car idles *almost* like stock, it's just a little bit louder at ldle. the drivabilty is identical to stock, which is what I wanted. I haven't gotten a chance to test out the power yet, but I will soon.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can unleash alot more power than you think with a tune. Especially head and cam swap. I think you'd be amazed even what a tune can do on a completely stock vehicle if its done right.

Chris

Quick Reply: Do LS1 Camaro's have "learning" PCM's?