PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way to add performance shifting table for C5s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way to add performance shifting table for C5s?

Tried a search with no luck, but:

To my understanding some GM trucks have a "performance" button which switches over to the performance shifting table. I was curious if there was a way to add such a switch for C5's.

I would like to be able to use the normal table for cruising around but use the performance table when driving hard/racing.

Can this be done? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is something in LS1 edit which controls the shift firmness based on hard driving, because after my last tune, my shift firmness seems to change based on how hard I drive. When I first start the car and drive normally, my shift firmness is at the stock setting, but as soon as I go full throttle (or even half throttle sometimes) the shift firmness kicks into the highest setting and stays there until I shut off the car.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, i do it all the time.

In efilive you have the ability to put in all sorts of cool stuff to turn on with spare inputs..

All you do is run a wire to the computer,
Turn on some things in the software, And then enter the values you want in the performance modes, It works awsome
Old 02-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wait4me
Yes, i do it all the time.

In efilive you have the ability to put in all sorts of cool stuff to turn on with spare inputs..

All you do is run a wire to the computer,
Turn on some things in the software, And then enter the values you want in the performance modes, It works awsome
Thanks! Do you sell a switch/harness setup or know someone who does? Or can you just get the GM truck part #'s? Thanks!
Old 02-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Patman
I think there is something in LS1 edit which controls the shift firmness based on hard driving, because after my last tune, my shift firmness seems to change based on how hard I drive. When I first start the car and drive normally, my shift firmness is at the stock setting, but as soon as I go full throttle (or even half throttle sometimes) the shift firmness kicks into the highest setting and stays there until I shut off the car.
To my understanding the car will take the normal shifting table but then also use a seperate "sub" table for WOT conditions. I believe its based on speed and RPM normally but when the computer reads a WOT condition it will only shift based on RPM. I belive firmness and shift time are programable also. What determines the WOT is how you specify your TPS%.Someone may be able to explain it better than I can though as i'm still new to understanding it.

What I'm trying to do is have a way to toggle between complete tables. For example if I were crusing at 65 MPH in the "normal mode" it would be in 4th gear. It would be nice to switch to a seperate mode that would stay in 2nd at 65 MPH. For this situation you could probably just downshift to 2nd, but for other situations I would think one could beneft. For example if you were taking a turn in 3rd and it downshifts into 2nd there is a chance that it may upset the car. It would be nice for the performance mode be configured to do the 3-2 shift at a lower speed RPM to help prevent it. Granted you'll exit the turn out of the powerband, but its a way to help auto's stay stable and predictable in roadracing (im guessing at least.)

Any comments on this idea is appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve7467
To my understanding the car will take the normal shifting table but then also use a seperate "sub" table for WOT conditions. I believe its based on speed and RPM normally but when the computer reads a WOT condition it will only shift based on RPM. I belive firmness and shift time are programable also. What determines the WOT is how you specify your TPS%.Someone may be able to explain it better than I can though as i'm still new to understanding it.
What happens on mine is different though. I'm talking about part throttle shift firmness. For example, I start my car and the part throttle shift firmness is at the stock setting, but then at some point I make a full throttle blast. After that, then the part throttle shift firmness now ends up at the highest setting, and will stay there until the engine is restarted.