Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket MAF??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket MAF??

I was wondering if I should get a aftermarket MAF? I have a 99 trans am WS6 with a lid and a holley powershot filter.... So do yall think i should buy one or the stock one will be good? Does is make any difference? Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Aftermarket MAF??

Unless you are prepared to update the MAF calibration table in your PCM, you should keep your stock MAF sensor. A MAF translator is a poor substitute for an accurate MAF table. Accurate MAF sensor calibration is essential if you want to preserve normal drivability. The stock MAF is adequate well beyond 400 rwhp. A larger MAF and a MAFT are most appropriate for those with high-horsepower engines who are only interested in WOT operation.

<small>[ March 27, 2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Gary Z ]</small>
Old 03-27-2003, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

So your saying that if i get a aftermarket MAF, for example one from MTI like the ones they have on the website that say that are already calibrated for the ls1 engine will i still have to calibrate or what? So is it worth getting it? If i do get cant i just adjust it with ls1 edit? I have custom tunning from MTI so cant they do it? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Teching In

You have a stock engine, you dont want a different MAF, just stick with the one that you have.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unless you are prepared to update the MAF calibration table in your PCM, you should keep your stock MAF sensor. A MAF translator is a poor substitute for an accurate MAF table. Accurate MAF sensor calibration is essential if you want to preserve normal drivability.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have no drivability problems and i use a MAFT. It runs normally at base and WOT. Personally I think it is ridiculous to spend 550 bucks for LS1 Edit unless you are running heads or a cam.
My 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

A stock MAF, airbridge and throttle body was designed to handle 500 HP at flywheel.
My 99 372 stoker LS1 is still using the stock airflow parts and is just getting close to the limits of those parts so clearly most N/A engines do not need you spending your money on those ported parts that in most causes screw up the PCM calibration and reduce performance.

If you have a PCM scanner, monitor the MAF frequency, it functions from 0 to about 11,000 Hz, you will see it never get close to that limit.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by IntenseWS6:
<strong> I was wondering if I should get a aftermarket MAF? I have a 99 trans am WS6 with a lid and a holley powershot filter.... So do yall think i should buy one or the stock one will be good? Does is make any difference? Thanks </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Old 03-29-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

The MAF was designed for a 350 HP car. Just because it will work on a 500 HP car doesn't mean it is necessarily the best for it....there are a lot of things that work but don't work as well as others. Just my 2 cents tho.