Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long to flash

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 12:37 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how long to flash

ok, so like many others, i pulled the plug while the HPP3 was doing it's thing. it wasn't too far into programming when i did so. "flash memory corrupt" blah blah blah. hypertech says thanks for choosing us, we won't help you because you're too cheap to buy a new programmer, have a nice day. so i've done a little research on here bout similar problems and the popular diagnosis seems to get the PCM flashed to stock specs. i've heard a range of prices, $78-$160 from local dealers. question is, how long does it take mr. goodwrench to tinker with his tech II to flash the computer back to normal? and when it's all said and done with, should the HPP3 work again? and lastly, anyone know of a place, preferably in houston area, that can get this done for a fair price. thanks in advance for any help.

-----------------
2001 5.3 Sierra
reg. cab stepside
Old 04-10-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: how long to flash

How long will it take Mr. Goodwrench?

Depends! It depends on a few things;

1) How much you have to correct
2) The data speed between the PCM, DLC, and Tech2
3) Depends on whether there is an updated program for your PCM which it has to re-write.
4) Depends on how much you got into other things such as shift points and shift firmness if you have an A4. In which case, it'll also have to communicate with the BCM through the PCM.
5) To start the process, you have to plug into the car, the Tech2 reads it's VIN and parameters. Then you are directed to go to the PC download terminal. Once at the terminal, it depends on how long it takes to download from the tech center to the Tech2.

For instance, I re-flashed my 96 Monte Carlo cause I wanted to update some controllers for it's secondary AIR injection. Took about a minute to do after I got done downloading the updates from the PC download terminal (which took about 5 minutes). Conversely, I needed to update some transmission items for my Allison transmission in my 2500HD. It took about the same 5 minutes to download from GM, but took nearly an hour to download from the Tech2 into my PCM and into the Allison controller.

So, figure somewhere in between that.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: how long to flash

Have you tried dis-connectng th ebattery for30 minutes? This is what I did, when my superchimps tuner failed somewhere int he DL to my PCM. The tuner box was erased(with my stock tune) and the truck was stuck with their crap tune. I changed everything that I wanted back to stock with Edit. I tried dis-connecting and it started, but the superch. tune was in there.