PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is retarding timing for no reason!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i am stumped, could be the knock sensors on the way out, but i doubt it. So it still does this even when you pull a good chunk of timing out? Does it only do this when cold out or all the time? Mine has a habit of giving some ping when its colder out and with the winter gas.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

we installed my factory tune back on the car and hooked it to the laptop..It still showed it was pulling timing by 4.. which means it could be the knock sensors..are these things hard to change? and do they have a reputation of going bad..Also, if it was the knock sensors, why is my car still making the chatter of popcorn at WOT?? im stumped too man
Old 03-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Teching In

I have not done a whole lot w/ ls1's aftermarket since I have not owned one yet, but it sounds like you have real kr to me. You could be getting carbon build up causing it. Plugs could also be fouled or something. I would just go through and check all the small stuff.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bought some tr55's which will be the first time i've changed my plugs, and im at 65k miles..also bought some taylor spark plug wires and im getting a new fuel filter done too..Hope that makes it all better we will see
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LANDONZ
Also, if it was the knock sensors, why is my car still making the chatter of popcorn at WOT?? im stumped too man
The sound you describe is detonation knock;
When you hear it, your knock sensors should have also heard it and should cause the ignition timing to drop by some amount dependent on the intensity of the knock;

If you heard it at WOT, but the laptop/logger shows no KR retard, then you need to find out if your knock sensors are bad or if their wiring is bad.

If you heard it and the laptop/logger shows KR retard, then you got real knock which will damage your engine if it persists.

If you can't hear it but the laptop/logger does show KR retard, then it may be real or ir may be false; keep retarding the WOT timing (using your Predator) and see if it goes away; if it doesn't go away then it's false; if it does go away then it's real, and you have to fix it; don't let it wreck your pistons.

If the laptop/logger shows a sawtooth waveform for KR, then it's probably real.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

joecar: I understand what you are saying completly. But, its still pulling timing even with stock tune?? Thats what boggles me.. which means its picking up KR even on 18 degrees of timing??

Landon
Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to reiterate, just wanted to make sure.

You can still get knock with the stock tune:
if you're running lean, or running too hot, or intake air is too hot, or sucking too much oil thru PCV, or have carbon deposits from running too rich, or running on bad gas; or it may be false knock, but you first have to eliminate the possibility that it is real knock.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool..It could possibly be from running rich..I need to actually sea foam my car again..I barely got half the can in last time..It might possibly be to much carbon in there..I wasnt trying to be a *** in my last post..If i came across that way im sorry
Old 03-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Restricted User

fuel trims are at 0.00 at WOT..and my air fuel ratio was 13/1 last time I dynoed..Could it be my Fuel Filter..I live in Gulfport, which was the hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina..I was told there was alot of bad gas afterwards, some are saying my fuel filter may be clogged?? Maybe that has nothing to do it
ok i read all of this and from experience my car had about 70,000 or so and my fuel filter was so clogged when i took it out i put my mouth on one end and i could barrrrrrely blow through it no matter how hard i tried..soon after that my fuel pump started to sound like an f-16 everytime i would start the car or after long drives...so change it its only like $10 or somethin compared to possibly hurting the rest of the fuel system not to mention the motor.. so again change a.s.a.p. and dont run WOT in it anymore until u've done so jus in case...let us know what happens.. laterr
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, no worries.

What are your LTFT's...?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

fenix99: Im changing it along with my plugs as soon as I get my plugs in the mail!!

joecar: LTFT's at WOT or idol?? I can go run a test in a little while just tell me which ones?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

joecar: LTFT's at WOT or idol?? I can go run a test in a little while just tell me which ones?
At WOT, where you get knocking.
I'm wondering it's running lean (LTFT > 0).
Old 03-16-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i watched them the other day and they stayed at 0.00...all the way through??
Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have no idea what the cause is, but if you do no have knock, there is a table you can modify in the spark section so your timing never goes below an input number. Sad thing is, I can't remember what the name is....I'll take a look in the next day or so and let you know. I have had this happen and changing this table fixed it.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:::: Ok, guys I got my Spark plugs(tr55) and wires(8mm Taylor) changed today including the fuel filter, which was dirty as a mother goat.. So, I take my car home from the place, about 50 miles..I decided to get on it and see it that fixed my valve chatter problem and knock retard problem...Drum role please[[[[}}}}}}}}||| NO, the MFer still makes the noise and is now pre-detonating even worse..<WTF>. Im so tired of this LS sucks.. I bought this car wanting to have fun with it but NO,, I have not been able to enjoy it cause Im scared to give it any gas..What the shyt?

Sincerely,
landon
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

try TR6's see if that helps..
Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Orange, not a chance of changing plugs again..My stock ones still made the same noise plus I paid 120 bucks..
Old 04-05-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, Im happy to say that I cleaned the MAF sensors with some electronics cleaner and there was alittle peace of metal on my smooth bellow that was hitting my hood underneath pretty hard..I did the sensors and man they were dirty..I drove my car and watch for knock retard at WOT..I did a bunch of high rpm runs..NOTHING..no retard at all...I also changed my shift points from 6100(stock cam) to 5800..so, I fixed my valve problem..Thanks for all the advice guys
Old 04-05-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, good work.

So it was a combination of the metal part hitting the hood and the MAF being dirty.

Now you can have fun with it...