Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Logging with Wideband O2

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Data Logging with Wideband O2

I have a wideband O2 that uses the Tech Edge TE-5301 display (http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/). My problem is data logging. I can connect this to a laptop and log data. My problem is trying to tie this output to the laptop system clock. The Tech Edge unit has:

To log AFR, connect the 9-pin connector from the display to the serial port of your laptop and configure the COMM program of your choice (e.g. HyperTerminal) to 19200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 2 stop bits, and hardware flow control. Tell HyperTerminal to capture the data to a file. When your run is done, use a hex program like Hex Workshop to view the captured data.

The 5301 puts out (according to Tech Edge) 5 bytes per second. Covert each byte to decimal, then divide the result by 10 to get AFR. Example: with no sensor connected the display indicates 14.7, and HyperTerminal will show a string of o-hat characters crawling across the screen. When you view the captured text file as a string of hex bytes, it is a string of 0x93, or 147 decimal. 147 divided by 10 is 14.7. It works!
I hope someone has run into this before and can recommend some existing software package that can take the output from the Tech Edge display and write it to a file with the system time. I would like to take this output and combine it with my OBDII data logging in Excel. I’ve seen some applications that are cheap (around $30 to $50) that say they do this but I have no way of verifying it will work unless I buy it. Can anyone make a recommendation? TIA.