Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car starts, runs for 2 seconds, then dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car starts, runs for 2 seconds, then dies

I have had this problem before, but it seemingly just corrected itself. When I start the car, it idles for ~2 seconds and then it just dies. Throttle input makes no difference whatsoever when it dies, it just turns off. It almost seems like there is something telling the computer "okm, shut it off." The car is on a big cam now and I am trying to get a tune on it, but cannot even get it to run fo rmore than 2 second. On the first start up, it ran for about 30 seconds no problem on the rough tune that I made. After that, it would keep running for more than a couple of seconds. When it fires up, everything starts normally and nothing sounds wrong. It has to be something electronic. :-/
Old 03-30-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound slike the fuel pump is cutting out... do you have VATs disabled? what year PCM?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by horist
sound slike the fuel pump is cutting out... do you have VATs disabled? what year PCM?
VATs is disabled, 02 pcm... and fuel is definately there. Twin walbros, hard wired.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

My truck acts like that in SD, but runs fine with the MAF. Sorry I cant help though, still trying to figure mine out.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
My truck acts like that in SD, but runs fine with the MAF. Sorry I cant help though, still trying to figure mine out.
You deleted the code for the MAF in your bin. Put the error back, but uncheck the "display SES" checkbox and you shoudl be okay. If you delete the DTC for the maf, it wont fail over to SD mode, and it thinks the MAF's reading of 0 is correct.

-T

Quick Reply: Car starts, runs for 2 seconds, then dies