Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe a dumb question but.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Do you still have your air pump installed/enabled ?

That will cause it to read lean on the wideband until it turns off, as it's pumping air into the exhaust at startup.

Otherwise OLFA table accompanied by startup enrichment tables control A/F at startup (prior to falling into closed loop).

Rob (Bad30th)
Not installed anymore and I swear I turned it off but thats a good idea. I will check the tune when I get home! Maybe a just disabled the code.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
Not installed anymore and I swear I turned it off but thats a good idea. I will check the tune when I get home! Maybe a just disabled the code.
If the air pump is physically not installed it wouldn't be leaning your startup A/F.

(Nothing there to physically blow air into the exhaust to lean the A/F out...). I don't think turning the code on/off would change the startup A/F...

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I will be messing with the afterstart enrichment to see if that will fix the issue. What AFR should I be shooting for on open loop startup? 11.0:1? 10.0:1?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know why you would want to change from stock unless you are having problems or want less fuel consumption.

I pulled 25% fueling out of mine and it still starts fine.
Ill keep taking more out once I get my cam and heads in until it starts crap. No point tipping fuel in if it does nothing other than empty the tank.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ringram
I dont know why you would want to change from stock unless you are having problems or want less fuel consumption.

I pulled 25% fueling out of mine and it still starts fine.
Ill keep taking more out once I get my cam and heads in until it starts crap. No point tipping fuel in if it does nothing other than empty the tank.
408 big heads/cam, starts like crap with high AFR and doesnt idle right.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Personally I think your issue may be more timing and raf than anything. I just provided answers for this thread. Those tutorials are guidlines and arent written in stone. Understanding what the car wants and how it behaves to the changes you make will take you further than them writeups.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Personally I think your issue may be more timing and raf than anything. I just provided answers for this thread. Those tutorials are guidlines and arent written in stone. Understanding what the car wants and how it behaves to the changes you make will take you further than them writeups.
Ahhh....one thing I have NOT messed with at idle is the timing. How do you approach timing at idle? Just add in spurts of like 2 degrees until it likes it?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

for your setup i would start at 28* in the base spark in drive and base spark in P/N tables and then move up or down from there
Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
for your setup i would start at 28* in the base spark in drive and base spark in P/N tables and then move up or down from there
Thanks, I will give it a try!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Advancing your spark at idle will make it even leaner, so don't be surprised.

After-start enrichment is there to handle the incomplete burn resulting from the cold chambers and plugs that lasts for several seconds after a start.
This isn't the same as fuel compensation for a cold engine which absorbs heat at a much faster rate from both the charge and the burn.
It's unfortunate that the two functions have been confused here.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Hmmm I can say I aint the brightest but "After start" and "Enrichment" to me means fuel that is added after the vehicle has started and since it is indexed by ECT why wouldnt this table be used to compensate for a cold engine ie operate like a choke.

What do you think you are acheiving by adding the extra fuel in the OLFA table as opposed to the Afterstart enrichement table?

Also the car with a big cam is gonna need more timing form the start. If he hasnt messed with it I am assuming its a stock table and can take a little timing to help smooth things out. Stock timing is anywhere from 22-24* and this isnt enough forthe cubes and cam he is running.

Leaner because of more of a complete burn (meaning less wasted gas, better heat production and a smoother running vehicle) or because of less fuel?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The max delay in Afterstart Enrichment is 255 engine revolutions. At 600RPM, the max delay would be about 25 seconds.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What table is this (AE) in EFILive-speak...?