Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont idle

i am having a problem with my car finding its idle, dies all the time . I have to drive the car with two feet just to keep it running. Sometimes it finds idle just fine but most of the time the idle bounces between 500 and 1200 rpm and then dies. Could this be caused by a bad IAC Valve or could it be the tune?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine did the same thing when i reset my check engine light by removing the pcm bat. and pcm ignition fuses. it took a little while before my car found the right idle but is was only like five min.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

You probably need to add 2~3 degrees to the stock base timing in p/n and in gear tables, adjust the high/low octane spark tables cooperate with the jump between off throttle and on throttle timing, take a little out of the overspeed/underspeed spark correction, and maybe a little out of the direct airflow correction. All of this is done while trying to keep your IAC counts in line (~60 to ~70 when motor is warm) by using the set screw or drilling a small hole in the throttle body. You'll also need to make sure your AFR is in line, which means lining up the VE and MAF tables. Welcome to the world of tuning.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need more idle tuning.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by j99fbody
i am having a problem with my car finding its idle, dies all the time . I have to drive the car with two feet just to keep it running. Sometimes it finds idle just fine but most of the time the idle bounces between 500 and 1200 rpm and then dies. Could this be caused by a bad IAC Valve or could it be the tune?
If it was working fine and then started having a problem, then yes it could be a bad IAC.
If it was bad since some mods or a tune, then it probably needs tuning.
Unhook the battery and let it try to re-learn idle, then go from there.