Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Truck Chips

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Truck Chips

My pop has got an 03 crew cab duramax truck. Theres several products out there (edge, bully dog) that will add 150 or so horsepower. The truck would then be pushing almost 500 hp. Im just curious how they can squeeze that much hp out of a chip. Obviously its because its a diesel right? But what is done to get the extra horsepower and is it unsafe to the engine (effect durability)?
He might then be able to give me a run for my money. LOL
Thanks
Ryan
Old 05-22-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

a lot of it has to do with changing the fuel peramiters (sp). they change how much fuel and when it is injected. there are tons of things the chips can change. i recomend edge. the main problem with the chips is the transmision holding the extra torque. if you get a good box with a monitor and egt sensor they will start shutting the tune down when the egt gets too hot this is so you dont gernade the turbo. got one on my buds truck with intake and exhaust and it runs good. to get good answers go over to diesel performance .com of performance trucks.net.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

a chip for a diesel engine adds fuel, fuel/pump timing and boost. a diesel engine already has the compression(anywhere from 16.0:1-21.0:1). they currently all have turbochargers so put some fuel and timing in it and you can make some nice power #'s. i would personally also stick with edge as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Ill have to look into it. My guess is that around 100 or so horsepower added would be safe to the transmission. Anything more than that would probably compromise durability.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We program alot of them. They arent dificult to tune at all. It still amazes me on how much hp and torque can be gained so easily.

EFILive allows you to modify them also.