Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ed wright tune...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 408WS6
I don't agree with this. If you notice the better shops like HPE and MTI don't even use a wideband to tune. MTI does but you have to pay extra. Reason is because they are so good at it they don't need one. If you've tuned hundereds of cars day in and day out, you would understand. Widebands are for amateurs...
I will have to completely dissagree with this statement...guessing at what a car is doing show's who the true amateurs are if the rest of your statement is true. Ever car responds differently hoping & praying that one car will act the same as the next is asking for trouble...especially considering a tailpipe wideband takes all of 30 seconds to hook up.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wise man once said, a tuner is only as good as the data they can acquire.

Without the most basic tuning tool, the wideband O2 sensor, doing WOT tuning is a joke without one, on any modified vehicle. Anybody who thinks they can tune without one is mis informed. Do the big 3 do their factory calibrations blind, or do they have good widebands in their development cars.....

A better shop, has a high end wideband, such as an AFM1000, or Horiba wideband sensor, not no wideband.

Would you rather take your car to a shop that uses a crescent wrench, duct tape, and visegrips as thier toolbox, or a shop with a full snap on box of tools?

Ryan
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't agree with this. If you notice the better shops like HPE and MTI don't even use a wideband to tune. MTI does but you have to pay extra. Reason is because they are so good at it they don't need one. If you've tuned hundereds of cars day in and day out, you would understand. Widebands are for amateurs...
Widebands are for amateurs...
All I can say is
Also we have sent files for Ed to tune after asking us a million questions. tune came back with very little changes and to find out wrong values for injectors. Made a couple of changes that will be $100 please. Never helped nothing what a rip. never again!!!!

Last edited by Dragman; 06-01-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a ED W program in my 00 SS that is SI and it runs great .I have never had it to a dyno but its just as fast as my friends car that put down 347 to the rear wheels and he has edit and is also SI.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
I have a ED W program in my 00 SS that is SI and it runs great .I have never had it to a dyno but its just as fast as my friends car that put down 347 to the rear wheels and he has edit and is also SI.

were not saying a mail order guess cant run as good at the track as a full tune....
but 99% of teh time...I can find way more powr and way better driveability with a real tune...

most of teh tunes I have seen from mail order have ben wrong injector sizing, VE table untouched, MAF table untouched, PE set to really odd values that dont make sense in any situation, and spark timimg that is nowhere near ideal....
and thats just teh few major things that you do.....
there are so many things that you need to change in a tune....mail order tunes rarely have thise changes..its a large waste of money

now its differerent if you have a guy help you through the mail and you aquire data to send to thet person, they make changes accordingly and send it back...then thats a different story....but you cant get it corect in one shot that way either...takes time and patience and knowledge based on data to get it correct
Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
most of teh tunes I have seen from mail order have ben wrong injector sizing, VE table untouched, MAF table untouched, PE set to really odd values that dont make sense in any situation, and spark timimg that is nowhere near ideal....
I've fixed "dyno tunes" from "reputable tuners" that had similar traits. Its kind of scary when I think back to how much blind faith I put in the tunes that my friends and I have used in the past. We always thought the shitty driveability was just something you had to live with if you had a big cam.

IMO, soundengineer is spot on with what he's said. I think those who are arguing with him about this stuff need to do a little more studying up. My .02.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

yeah...I'm tuning a 427 with a 268/272 cam in it tomorrow...when I'm done...it will drive like stock..other than it will have an assload of power and it will lope like a son of a bitch..LOL
Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
I've fixed "dyno tunes" from "reputable tuners" that had similar traits. Its kind of scary when I think back to how much blind faith I put in the tunes that my friends and I have used in the past. We always thought the shitty driveability was just something you had to live with if you had a big cam.

IMO, soundengineer is spot on with what he's said. I think those who are arguing with him about this stuff need to do a little more studying up. My .02.
I have seen some things in tunes that just baffled me. I can't believe people tuned that way back in the day. I will agree with Scott, mail order stuff may be good for a base line, but not for a true/final tune. That needs to be done one-on-one.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:31 PM
8 Second Club

usually mail order is good enough to keep you from feeling like a dumbass at stoplights while driving your car home from the guys house that helped you put your cam in..LOL

but thats about it......
Old 06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Widebands are for amateurs...
this is right up there with vin diesel himself....

Amateurs dont use nitrous oxide... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol... about the only vehicle I tune without a wideband is a diesel.....

Ryan
Old 06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow
lol... about the only vehicle I tune without a wideband is a diesel.....

Ryan
Tune with smoke and EGT's
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

never said this was optimum...I said if you want 13.0 then you comand 13.0 you should see some of teh time I take on cars to try to find ideal A/F and spark timing in the dyno before I go to the street to dial it in to match commanded for the street

So you are saying that YOU >>> MTI and HPE. LMAO

Sorry dude, but I didn't even read your post. You lack credibility and is evident in your spelling of even the simplest of words. I would never let you tune my car. Now get back to your 8th grade class

Last edited by 408WS6; 06-02-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uh oh the grammer police are out in full force
Old 06-02-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Sorry dude, but I didn't even read your post. You lack credibility and is evident in your spelling of even the simplest of words. I would never let you tune my car. Now get back to your 8th grade class

why dont you read the tuner forums before you make yourself look more ignorant.
you might want to wash your feet for when you goto stick it in your mouth. :lmao:
Old 06-02-2006, 07:53 AM
8 Second Club

OMG....there are 2 shops here in KC that used to do a lot of f-bodys...that now dont because everybody comes to me..and I dont have a shop...LOL

theres a reason I'm a super moderator on the HP Tuners Forum and a beta tester of all their new stuff...

and so what if my hands dont always agree with my brain.....
I tune 9 and 10 second 1/4 mile LS1 cars all the time

today I have a 427 with a 270's duration cam in it to tune.....solid roller...
and this is an easy one to me..LOL

and yes..I'm saying I tune vehicles better than mail order tunes from MTI and HPE

there are a lot of guys on many many forums that respect my opinions...
I'm not new to this game....
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

OMG....there are 2 shops here in KC that used to do a lot of f-bodys...that now dont because everybody comes to me..and I dont have a shop...LOL

theres a reason I'm a super moderator on the HP Tuners Forum and a beta tester of all their new stuff...

and so what if my hands dont always agree with my brain.....
I tune 9 and 10 second 1/4 mile LS1 cars all the time

today I have a 427 with a 270's duration cam in it to tune.....solid roller...
and this is an easy one to me..LOL

and yes..I'm saying I tune vehicles better than mail order tunes from MTI and HPE

there are a lot of guys on many many forums that respect my opinions...
I'm not new to this game....
You talk this way on boards to all potential customers? How unprofessional. I seriously doubt that that you do ANYTHING better than MTI or HPE judging from your professionalism alone. And you have NONE. Are you trying to solicit work on this board without having to pay? Thats what it's looking like to me.

Sorry to **** you off man. It was not my intention. I'm just calling it how I see it. I'd much rather take my car to a professional because I know I don't know how to tune than to take it some mullet wearing roadie that can't even find work and has to come on this board and silicit (in a round about way) for work.

I'm done with this thread. I don't have time for your unprofessionalism. And I wish you the best of luck in getting some work
Old 06-02-2006, 09:30 AM
8 Second Club

You talk this way on boards to all potential customers? How unprofessional. I seriously doubt that that you do ANYTHING better than MTI or HPE judging from your professionalism alone. And you have NONE. Are you trying to solicit work on this board without having to pay? Thats what it's looking like to me.

Sorry to **** you off man. It was not my intention. I'm just calling it how I see it. I'd much rather take my car to a professional because I know I don't know how to tune than to take it some mullet wearing roadie that can't even find work and has to come on this board and silicit (in a round about way) for work.

I'm done with this thread. I don't have time for your unprofessionalism. And I wish you the best of luck in getting some work

your pretty funny dude..

I'm home for about a month and then I'm out on the road for 3 months on one tour and then immediately after I leave to do a world tour and about 16 months worth of shows...with a few short breaks in between stuff...

I'm far from having a mullet and far from being a "roadie"
theres a lot more than just a band and the guys that lug their gear around...

I take care of 2 of the most important jobs in teh show....
teh guy that makes sure you...the guy who bought the ticket to come see teh show...can hear the band and that the band sounds good...
and I'm teh guy thatdoes all teh behind teh scenes work for the band...helping them to make money...finding them hotels and flights..making sure they get to shows on time and interviews on time..making sure they have teh right gear and that its in working properly..and if its not..then I make sure they get it repaired or replaced... I make sure the band is fed properly and has proper dressing rooms... I make sure they have water and towels for teh show...I make sure the promoter has met all their technical needs for the show, I make sure that the band gets paid....I take care of financing issues for the band and take care of their budget and spending. I pay the rest of the crew with weekly perdiem so they can go eat when theres not catering or when they dont want what catering makes...I take care of all the paperwork when we have to go thru customs passing across anyones border. I make sure the bus drivers and truck drivers have hotels for teh day so they can sleep and be rested for the next drive...along with so many other things that I do

IF I was a sponsor on here I would expect to have to follow the politically correct bullsh*t that goes on around here sometimes....
but I'm not a sponsor cause I'm not home enough to desire to be a sponsor...
I do tunes for my local f-body clubs and racing clubs....I'm in high demand when I'm not out on tour. I dont solicit on here cause I have plenty of work from my local guys that need stuff and dont want to go to the other options around town...

when I get somebody over on HPT website that wants help...and I find out that I'm crosing paths and going to be close enough for them to drive to a show or to the hotel, then I have them come out and I help them in person when I can...just helped a guy in nashville a couple of days ago...at midnight...

I dont consider you a potential customer..but I'd be willing to tell you to get a mail order tune..and hit the dyno and teh track...see what you get...
then come out to visit me here in kc..let me retune your car...and see how it comes out...
I wont even charge for the tune.... but if mine wins..you pay for dyno time and pay the amount I would normally charge for the tune

any ways...nuff said...
Old 06-02-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Scott, no need to explain yourself to anyone (let alone someone online). We know who you are and what you do, he can do a search and find out if he wants to. Just let it go, some people just won't listen, that is when you just back away and save yourself some frustration that is not needed. Use that energy to do what you do best.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:28 AM
8 Second Club

going to meet teh guy with teh 427ci solid roller cam here in about 2 hrs