PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

High/Low Octane Spark Tables

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 12:45 PM
Teching In

Default High/Low Octane Spark Tables

What ultimately causes the PCM to switch between the high octane spark timing table and the low octane spark timing table? Does it initially try using the high octane table and switch based on the tendency to knock? If so, what makes it look back to the high octane table?

I am getting mixed opinions on other forums, so I opted to ask the experts.

By the way, the tried searching older threads but came up empty.
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I uses a biased value between the two tables based on the knock learn factor. If it never sees any knock it would use the high table. The more knock it sees the more it migrates toward the low table. Sort of a blend between the 2 tables. The less it sees, it migrates back toward the high table. According to the HP Tuners people, they say it moves back up much slower than it moves down.
Old 05-31-2006 | 07:49 PM
On The Tree

High/Low Octane Adaptive Spark Scaler, ASPARK in EFILive. Well explained in the above post. Also fully controlable in EFIlive.
Old 06-01-2006 | 12:01 PM
Teching In

Great info. I knew I could depend on you guys.
Old 06-01-2006 | 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I uses a biased value between the two tables based on the knock learn factor. If it never sees any knock it would use the high table. The more knock it sees the more it migrates toward the low table. Sort of a blend between the 2 tables. The less it sees, it migrates back toward the high table. According to the HP Tuners people, they say it moves back up much slower than it moves down.
After re-flashing with EFILive will it default to the High Octane setting immediately or is it still a slow learn process?
Old 06-01-2006 | 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1_bc
After re-flashing with EFILive will it default to the High Octane setting immediately or is it still a slow learn process?
Defaults to the High Octane table after flashing.

Quick Reply: High/Low Octane Spark Tables