Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Computer Running 00 Engine Need Answers Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 98 Computer Running 00 Engine Need Answers Please

I have a 98 Z28 M6 w/ a 00 engine. The 98 computer is running the engine and it runs real strong.
My questions:
-do I need to change comp and harness?
-will I have any problems w/ upgrades?
-I have read that the 00+ have 2 knock sensors and 98-99 do not. Is this correct or not? will this affect the 98 computer in any way if it is correct?
-the exhaust has a lean smell to it, is this due to the 98 comp or not?
-every now and then it will backfire after I park and later go to leave. Computer related or not?
-will I have any problems from it later on?
I have plenty of mechanical experience and I have owned several OBD1 vehicles and still do. This is my first OBD2 vehicle and I'm still learning day by day of it's capabilities. I believe that will do it for now. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 98' PCM should not really care if the motor is a stock LS1. Is the motor modifed?

All of the LS1's have two knock sensors. I think the later year sensors are less sensitive.

You should check the AFR with a wide band and make sure you don't have an issue with anything else.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor isn't modified yet. It just has an slp flopac and loudmouth. I do have future plans for it but I want everything to right first. Also I have replaced both knock sensors because of a ses light. It hasn't come on since.