PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pls. explain the benefits of SD tuning to a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls. explain the benefits of SD tuning to a newbie!

I've been debating the idea of having a tuner tune my car in speed density, I'm a newbie in the Corvette scene and the term "speed density tuning" is new to me.

I currently have a 05 C6 Z51 with a ProCharger D1SC, Kooks LT headers, methanol injection, FAST intake, Borla Stinger exhaust and a ECS retrictor plate on the inlet of the blower head since I'm on stock bottom end. The numbers are 625rwhp/560rwtq @ 6.5-7psi.

My question to you all is; what would the benefits be on my particular setup to tune in SD??

Any info is greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed density does away with the MAF. The downside to a MAF system is pegging it, whereby you flow more air through it than it can read. Once this happens... the PCM no longer knows how much fuel to add. So if you peg your MAF at 7 PSI.. the pcm doesnt know if your running 15 PSI or 8 PSI.. so the fueling has to be compromised.

The advantage to the MAF.. is drivability. The disadvantage is losing reading past X amount of airflow. Typically cars on turbo's would benefit greatly from SD, since boost can creep higher.. be set lower.. etc.. vs a blower whereby boost is a function of pulley size/RPM.

My suggestion, do what your engine tuner is comfortable tuning, and advises. Going against him/her points the finger back at you if something doesnt go rite.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Matter's on how the car drives now.If is drives like stock I would leave your current setup. SD/2bar I ussually leave for big cam or Cammed/blower cars.