Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail order tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mail order tunes

Any of you tuners know how changing rear end gears from 3.42 to 3.73 is going to affect my tune? Also, when ordering mail order tune, I listed my engine as a ls1 and have since found out that it is a ls6. How does this affect the performance of my tune if at all?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speedo will be off, torque converter lockup will be off, shift points will be off

Your engine is an LS1... you MAY have an LS6 block and have an LS6 intake manifold, but that does NOT make your engine an LS6 (unless you put LS6 heads on, LS6 camshaft, LS6 PCV, etc... ) Only way to get an LS6 engine is in a vette Z06 (C5) or a caddy CTS-V ... if your car did come w/an LS6 the dealership woulda been really pushing it (405hp vs 325hp)

Thus the effect on performance is zero, nothing, the LS6 block has no impact on performance... the LS6 intake manifold affects performance however any tuner that touches an LS1 should realize that 01/02 cars came w/the LS6 intake manifold... (and if you did want to get max power out of it, you'd be much better off w/a dyno tune as mail order tunes... especially w/out any kinda scans of the car, are just guess work)
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

The car did not come with this enginge. At about 30,000 miles it started to make a tapping sound. There was a service bulletin out on this issue at the time saying it was something to do with the piston skirts. The dealer replaced the pistons, but that did not stop the sound. So ultimately I got a new engine in mid '04. The shop that installed my heads told me that this was a ls6 block, but I don't know.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is still only an ls1, but has a ls6 style block. that does not make it an ls6 engine though as found in a corvette. Gm wouldn't let that happen. They would loose money. If you want to check, look on the heads and you will find a casting number on them. report that number back here, and we will tell you.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

To answer your question, having an LS1 vs an LS6 isn't going to change how a mail order tune corrects things for your gear change, it will be done the same way.

If you're question is about fueling and/or timing changes, that may be different.