Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default electrical problems

Washed the vette (2002 conv.) a few days ago and dried it off as best as could be done. jumped in the car, turned it on, and all sorts of electrical codes startd showing.....shocks not working, coolant 260, no oil pressure, and various other items. i reset everything and the car ran fine. Intermittently the windows fail to go up or down, even when moving the convertible top. After the incident right after washing the car, it ran flawless for a while. My mother took the car for a drive to church and on the way she said all the dials went dead, car said it was overheating which it wasnt. said no oil pressure and no oil which we checked and wasnt true. said the shocks were not working or something along those lines and the windows wouldnt work again. The car went into limp mode for safety until she pulled over. she let the car sit for about 20 min, started it back up, and it was like nothing ever happened and the car ran fine. Ive done everything i can to try to recreate the symptoms, ive tried to make the car over heat and it wont even get over 220 no matter what i do, oil pressure stays around 40 at idle no mater how hot the motor. the windows work flawlessly and powerfully. I dont know what could be causing this but i dont want to be out on the road and it happen again. any ideas on what it might be? is there an electrical component that is easily esposed to water or can be affected by rain. the nozzle i use to wash is a sof shower type nozzle that doesnt spray hard. any ideas?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate ground problems...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the obvious,
battery connections, starter connections, fusable links, grounding points, etc..
Old 07-23-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it a hundred times. Probably a loose positive cable at the battery, or the more serious, battery acid leaking from the positive post down onto the PCM (which is directly beneath the battery on your car) causing all sorts of damage to the computer and wiring harness. When washing it you may have agitated a damaged harness when water run off drained off the cowling.