PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

434 cold start issues, TPS issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 434 cold start issues, TPS issues.

Ok, here's how things are at the moment. Upon firing the motor it starts up and then wants to kick down and idle at 500-600 rpm when the idle is set to 1100rpm. The a/f ratios at that time as measured in the collector of the header on the driver side are really lean like in the 20-22 to 1 range, but the car smells really rich when it does it (i'm guessing it's because the motor is running so poorly at those low rpms). When the motor comes up in coolant temperature it idles strong at 1100rpms. I'm assuming I need to go into the after start enrichment based off coolant temp table and start increasing the values in the lower temp range right? I've already done this once and it seems like it may need some more help here. The motor fires up just fine when it's hot and I start it. Also, when the motor gets to 160 and up the idle a/f ratios is from 15-13.8 ish to 1. Also, at the moment the cylinder volume size has not been changed. From the limited reading i've done on this cylinder volume number it seems as though it comes into play during the cold starting of the motor. Is this a possible culprit. I will be playing with all of this soon but am looking for suggestions.

Secondly, the throttle body i'm using is a 1550 cfm accell unit on top of my sb2 intake and c5r heads. I've had to hardwire the tps sensor into a pig tale I get from a local gm mechanic. I used a adapter plug from Accell to base my wiring off of as the adapter plug was not the right piece having two mail ends when femail were needed. Now the tps does not seem to be right as it reads 16% at wide open throttle and I know the throttle body is opening all the way. Does this sound like a wiring issue or a incompatability issue with the tps sensor (maybe it's a ford sensor)? If so, sense this car is in 100% speed density open loop do I really need the sensor. I can just tune the 85 and up kPa ranges of the ve table for 13 to 1 a/f ratio or close to and avoid pe mode all together which right off the top of my head is the only thing that i'd think the tps would be required for in a race type car anyway. Or I could set the pe required TPS % lower too I guess. Also, I know there's a % where the cylinder flood/clearing mode is activated, I could adjust that too to compensate for the incorrect %.

Any posative suggestions are appreciated

Last edited by DAPSUPRSLO; 07-31-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Open Loop F/A Table?

Does the open loop F/A Table actually command based on coolant temperature according to the VE table? I've always been kind of confused as to it's function.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

what software are you using. shoot me a file and I can take a look at it for you
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
what software are you using. shoot me a file and I can take a look at it for you
Using EFILive Larry. I'm in the office right now, let me see what I can do later this afternoon or tomorow.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like someone may have changed your OLFA table to all stoich.
If so, then there's the root of the problem.

Your gas fumes in the exhaust are from lean misfire. This can eventually start fouling plugs just as being too rich fouls them.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Sounds like someone may have changed your OLFA table to all stoich.
If so, then there's the root of the problem.

Your gas fumes in the exhaust are from lean misfire. This can eventually start fouling plugs just as being too rich fouls them.
I changed my OLFA table to reflect what the right up wants in the EFI Live tuning deal. That is about a 12.45 to 1 ratio below 40C, 14.63 to 1 above 40C and below 80kPA (or close to) and 12.95 to 1 above 40C and 80 kPa.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I changed my OLFA table to reflect what the right up wants in the EFI Live tuning deal. That is about a 12.45 to 1 ratio below 40C, 14.63 to 1 above 40C and below 80kPA (or close to) and 12.95 to 1 above 40C and 80 kPa.
That's probably for a stock engine with no other tuning or hardware changes. It doesn't sound like it's working at all for you.
It also sounds like your TPS may not be wired correctly.
Most TPS are standard 3-wire 5 volt items, so it's probably just a matter of getting the 3 wires connected correctly.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, thanks.