Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCS question

Not sure if this is the right section or not...

Well, My car has been tuned (a4), and for some reason my TCS light will come on and off as it wants and when its on, it can't be turned off until it wants to go off by itself. Sometimes when the light comes on, it makes the car shift at 3k for no aparent reason and does it in every gear until it goes off.

Well, with that being said...i took the car to the track and launched in drive like i always have... but the TCS light came on before the run by itself. The 60ft was good, but once it got to about 4500 or so it shifted early in every gear so i shut it down.

I've heard this problem was the IAC sensor or something or heck, i donno.

I'm totally lost on what it could be or how to diagnose this or if anyone knows a fix for it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Brian.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I'm wondering the same thing, I have the same problem - if you figure anything out let me know.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told on another forum to have my tuner go back and check and see if any of the TCS options were accidentally turned off.

Went today and sure enough they were...drove off and STILL having the same problem.

Is there ANYTHINg I can replace/clean or anything to help or fix this? It's annoying as hell.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having a problem similar to that with mine shifting at exactly 4500 with it in drive. I have'nt noticed if the light comes on and off at this time but I do have a possesd light from time to time and this sounds very similar. I wonder if unplugging the TCS unit itself would work?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

I'll ask my tuner what he did to get rid of mine when I see him today and get back to you all.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

It can be tuned out without taking anything off. I had John (Rutan TA) out here in Columbus, Ohio tune my car.

Last edited by xxtheonlyxx; 08-07-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

I wish I could tell you how but I dont understand the program. I would suggest having your tuner get templates from other tuners to use as starting points.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had mine mail ordered tuned by TSP. It all worked out great except for this problem. Since you guys mentioned it, the fact that it had traction control never came up. If you get a chance to ask your tuner, please let me know what he says so I can discuss this with TSP and get this straightened out.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies... pm's sent!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

I'm going to see my tuner on Friday. Im going to have him check my TC sensors. From some driving and experimenting there is really no one thing that sets it off. Does everyone here have a cammed car??
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is....
Old 08-15-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is as well and tuned by the same tuner as brian. I have the same problem and cant get the car from hitting the rev. limiter for nothing on the 2nd to 3rd shift. The tranny builder has pulled the tranny twice and tried tweaking it and its still doing it. He thinks it has to be in the tune and cant find out any other reason on why it would do such a thing. Its a fresh rebuilt tranny as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01'WS6
Mine is as well and tuned by the same tuner as brian. I have the same problem and cant get the car from hitting the rev. limiter for nothing on the 2nd to 3rd shift. The tranny builder has pulled the tranny twice and tried tweaking it and its still doing it. He thinks it has to be in the tune and cant find out any other reason on why it would do such a thing. Its a fresh rebuilt tranny as well.
Your issues lie within the map sensor parameters. A competent tuner can fix it and change the settings where it doesnt come on at idle conditions. Once you are driving the car it should go off once it gets out of the map vs tps% vs Vaccuum the sensor is seeing.

Is your transmission vaccum modulated? If not it needs to be...And also, some cars dont like descreened mafs...A way to test if your ported/descreened maf is the culprit would be to flip the MAF around and watch your shifting get crisper. If it does, its a MAF airflow problem that can be rescaled, again with a competent tuner.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Your issues lie within the map sensor parameters. A competent tuner can fix it and change the settings where it doesnt come on at idle conditions. Once you are driving the car it should go off once it gets out of the map vs tps% vs Vaccuum the sensor is seeing.

Is your transmission vaccum modulated? If not it needs to be...And also, some cars dont like descreened mafs...A way to test if your ported/descreened maf is the culprit would be to flip the MAF around and watch your shifting get crisper. If it does, its a MAF airflow problem that can be rescaled, again with a competent tuner.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help and info guys. My dad discovered the problem on my car. While doing all the mods I made with valve covers off, I had pushed the throttle cables out of the way. What happened is that the adjusters had slipped and let the cable get out of adjustment. My dad was watching under the hood when I floored the pedal and I was only getting 80% throttle. We got it straightened out and it shifts perfect every time at 6400, and I have'nt noticed the ASR light acting odd either; but it's only been drove about 25 miles. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-20-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RZRSEDGE
Thanks for all the help and info guys. My dad discovered the problem on my car. While doing all the mods I made with valve covers off, I had pushed the throttle cables out of the way. What happened is that the adjusters had slipped and let the cable get out of adjustment. My dad was watching under the hood when I floored the pedal and I was only getting 80% throttle. We got it straightened out and it shifts perfect every time at 6400, and I have'nt noticed the ASR light acting odd either; but it's only been drove about 25 miles. Thanks again everyone!

Gonna try that right now. I recently rebuilt my motor and just put it in so that could be it! Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your welcome and I hope that is what it is. I was embarassed that it was something small like that, but hey, it works now! Good luck!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Didn't get a chance to try it right now...but gonna do it after work (been driving the ole ladies car all weekend)
Old 08-26-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

I though my TCS problem wa gone but it popped back up. Im starting to think one of my sensors is bad
Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still nothing for me.

Tried everything mentioned even with tuning and nothing. Seems like no one knows a fix for this...

Quick Reply: TCS question