Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing injector Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing injector Drivers

Anyone familiar with the process? Can it be done with a techII? I have three cylinders doing nothing,(3,5& 7).All have spark, and the plugs smell like fuel when I pull them. Can the drivers fail or be bad, yet still allow the injector to open?Or are they hanging open???? I hear no sound of obvious "noise", besides the fact that it idles like crap.(on 5 cyls...) This is driving me nuts...
I did change the rails and injectors, nothing.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Injectors can be tested with the TechII. I'm not familiar enough with the process to get you in the right direction though
Old 08-22-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Service Manual has 2 test procedures, briefly they are:

1. connect pressure gauge, prime fuel pressure (ignition on/off several times), do not start engine, pressure should maintain pretty much constant for about 1 minute; if it's dropping, then 1 or more injectors are leaking;

2. connect pressure gauge, prime fuel pressure (ignition on/off several times), do not start engine, record pressure gauge, using Tech2 select an injector and fire it, observe gauge immediately on firing, should see a pressure drop followed by slight rise, record the initial dropped pressure, calculate the difference between the 2 readings, this is the "drop"; repeat this whole test on all 8 cyls, add all 8 "drops" and divide by 8 getting the average "drop"; see which cyls deviate from the average.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Awesome, now I need a rail pressure guage and a Compression(psi) guage, lol. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have quickly pinpointed many injector electrical problems with an engine stethescope, just put its tip on each injector at the some location on each one and compare the very audible clicks.