Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with these things?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats with these things?

I have seen dozens of these "superchips" on Ebay and other various places. Has anyone ever purchased one? Are these things power adders or power robbers? I am very curious what everyone thinks about the so called "25hp magic chip" ?? please share your opinions
Old 08-23-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

General rule of thumb... if the name contains "Chip" and you're car is not a 93 F-Body... stay away lol (93 was the only 4th gen F-Body to be "chipped")

usually the ones that claim the 25hp and such are nothing more than a resistor... they trick the IAT sensor into making the car think it's really cold out (30s) ... in so doing they want you to believe it's adding timing yada yada

Truth is there are several tables in the PCM that are IAT referenced (timing being one of them) but in a stock PCM very little timing is taken out during normal operating conditions ... and fact is if the incoming air temp is 130* ... do you really want to tell the PCM it's only 30*? Just to get a degree or two of timing (stock PCM will pull a couple degrees timing if the IAT is really high ... it's a safety thing... hot IAT means hotter than normal incoming air charge means higher chance of pre-ignition/detonation)

The only way I can see doing the "resistor chip mod" as being viable... is if you program your IAT referenced timing tables in the PCM so that you can use a potentionmeter of known resistances to manually add/remove a certain degree of timing (this is popular in the Grand Prix world... mostly because until recent years no company had do it yourself tuning packages)
Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I was pretty sure it was just something to trick your IAT sensor, but they never tell you how these things work. All you ever hear about is all the great power gains and lower strip times. look at this one, you'd think you were buying a $25 supercharger or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RACIN...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-23-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooo... that's one of the fancy resistor in a box ones heh..

Item works perfect! Added 10mph in 1/4 mile. Highly recomend, fast ship!!!!!
lol... though this box may trick more sensors than just the IAT... it mentions firmer shifts... the shifts are controlled by load on our cars (line pressure on stock tranny... but in your case w/an M6 useless) ... so I wonder if it tricks the MAF too...

Regardless... it's a waste of money

It simply connects directly to your intake sensor, and suddenly your car has Up to 40 Extra horsepower! The Gorillachipz™ Comes encased so that it can be securely mounted.
lol... whata scam

Quick Reply: Whats with these things?