PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

RPM Problem driving me mad

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006 | 12:48 AM
Teching In

Default RPM Problem driving me mad

Hey all. I'm new here. I'm not going to lie. I didn't read every post prior to me posting however I did skim through a few pages worth in effort to find someone with the problem I'm having but didn't see any.

I have a 2001 Camaro SS and lately I've been having an issue which I am going to try to explain as best I can. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes of driving before it starts giving me trouble. At that point if I am driving and say I take my foot off the gas and coast, then push my clutch in, the RPMs go up a few hundred then slowly fall. The best way to describe it is as if the throttle is sticking but everything along the throttle cable seems fine as far as i can tell. Also once this starts to happen the idle of my car is higher. Instead of idling at like 700-800 or whatever RPM, it's more like 1200. It sounds as if the foot is slightly on the gas pedal.

I had read through the service manual and one of the simplest suggestions was more or less checking the air filter. I could have been reading under the wrong section of the manual but mine was rather dirty so I cleaned it and oiled it (I have the K&N FIPK).

I would really appreciate if someone gave me a starting idea as to where to look or turn to solve this problem. Sadly I'm thinking about getting rid of my camaro for a GTO but with problems like this, the dealership is most likely going to try and drop the value of my car more so I would like to get stupid problems like this sorted out before I attempt to use it as a trade in. Love my camaro but car seats just don't work out too well in the back of it heh.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-29-2006 | 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

What (besides the K&N) is done to the car?
Old 09-29-2006 | 10:56 AM
Teching In

Nothing else has been done. I just recently had my rear replaced but this problem existed before then, plus I didn't change ratio or anything.
Old 09-29-2006 | 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing I'd look to if it's virtually a bone stock car are the basic maintenance issues - plugs, fuel filter, etc. You could try cleaning or replacing the IAC valve too. If it's not opening/closing appropriately, it'll cause the symptoms you are seeing. Some electrical cleaner across the MAF leads might be a good idea too if you're going to be in there cleaning things up.
Old 09-29-2006 | 01:55 PM
Teching In

Cool, I'll give that a shot. Appreciate the help.