Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning? is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning? is it worth it?

ok I have a 2001 Trans am M6 with: ory, longtube headers, catback, underdrive pulleys, CAI, and K&N. I would like to make it go a little bit faster while I am saving up for gears, cams, and DR's. I figured if I bought some tuning software I could go ahead and tune it now and then when these parts are added I could tune it again. So my questions is how much use would a tune be to me with the mods I have? Would it be worth it to maybe get some smaller stuff first and then tune it? (if so please list what it is.) How much hp/tq would I gain and what else could I improve over stock? Or should I just wait until after I get those parts and have a shop tune it for me? ( because tuning it now would not improve the vehicle enought to warrent the spending of the money.) Thanks ahead of time for any response I might get.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by da boss
ok I have a 2001 Trans am M6 with: ory, longtube headers, catback, underdrive pulleys, CAI, and K&N. I would like to make it go a little bit faster while I am saving up for gears, cams, and DR's. I figured if I bought some tuning software I could go ahead and tune it now and then when these parts are added I could tune it again. So my questions is how much use would a tune be to me with the mods I have? Would it be worth it to maybe get some smaller stuff first and then tune it? (if so please list what it is.) How much hp/tq would I gain and what else could I improve over stock? Or should I just wait until after I get those parts and have a shop tune it for me? ( because tuning it now would not improve the vehicle enought to warrent the spending of the money.) Thanks ahead of time for any response I might get.

How will you gauge performance gains? No dyno, I'd tend to wait and get a professional dyno tune.

Also, tuning software, wideband O2, and cables will run you well over 500 bucks anyways... and then you till have to learn how to use the software, and not blow anything up in the learning curve...
Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I say get tuning sofyware and a wideband now and learn how to do it while you are still close to stock. The when you do mods like a cam you will already have an idea of what you need to do. Doing your own tuning is one of the best mods you can do IMO. tune with your current mods will help as well, especially to get your WOt AFR dialed in real good.

Oh and get rid of the shitty K&N filter and go back to a regulr paper filter. The K&N takes oil which goes through the intake duct and coats the MAF wires, which will cause fueling issues which will lead to codes being thrown nd your car running bad.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

I picked up 10 peak HP on a mustang dyno and my power curves look a lot better. Only mods are LT's march pulley and full exhaust. tuned by myself. Also picked up .2 and 2 MPH with ~ the same DA and 60'