PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Vinci tuner really worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a Vinci tuner really worth the $$$?

Ive been debating whether or not to buy a handheld tuner, and im most likely going with a vinci tuner since it accepts the 1998 model. Is it really woth the $500 or should o pay to travel 6 hours away to get a full dyno tune in between mods?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for $549 i can sell you EFILives commercial version and it comes with any tune you want and you can change and tweak it all you want.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wait4me
Well for $549 i can sell you EFILives commercial version and it comes with any tune you want and you can change and tweak it all you want.
i dont even know how to tune one bit, but id be willing to learn, is there any tutorials?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

You can do some reading in the efilive forum and also download the free trial off of the main website, www.efilive.com Also, the tune has a history button so you can see the tables i changed and if you read the descriptions then it explain why i changed it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
Ive been debating whether or not to buy a handheld tuner, and im most likely going with a vinci tuner since it accepts the 1998 model. Is it really woth the $500 or should o pay to travel 6 hours away to get a full dyno tune in between mods?
No, not worth it...
I bought a handheld (a different brand) a long time ago...
it was slow, it was limited, it didn't do much, waste of money...

Then I bought EFILive and I have never looked back.

What wait4me said, download the software (runs in demo mode) and open the sample tunes.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

The Vinci tuner affords the user the ability to improve overall tuning through the use of base tunes and also allows fine tuning with respect to the timing and fuel curves. The VHP tuner also allows for changing your idle speed as well as the gear/tire changes etc. It allows for far more tuning options than some of the other handheld tuners and if used correctly can be a very effective tuning tool. I have used one on both of my cars and found it very easy to use.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, not worth it. Get EFILive and tune from Jesse at Wait4Me and you can thank me later.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

worth it? i would say so. then again, worth is up to your definition.

for someone with no readily available tuner (6 hours isn't readily available), and really doesn't have a desire to learn, or is beyond their learning capabilites, it's one of the better handhelds out there.

i have tuned the wife's car with it when it had heads. and later on when i put a cam in it. i even tried it at the track back when my black car was stock. picked up .2 and 1.4 mph in the 1/4 same day back to back runs.

you can make changes whenever you want. you hit up a tuner, when you add something to your car, you now have to schedule time and spend more money.

now, having said that, it doesn't take the place of a full on tuning suite like hptuners, efilive or ls1edit.

here's a tutorial i made on the tuner http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm

it's up to you.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

The Vinci Tuner is great if you don't want to get too involved. But, realise for the same price range you can get SO MUCH MORE. All you have to be is willing to learn and it will come to you.

Read all the info up here. Ask questions. Make small changes. Do all that and your understanding of your car will increase and you will have a much more flexible software package.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Do not waste you money on the handheld. I had the same mindset before I bought EFILive. I was very intimdated at first, but I read the forums and learned how to use it. And I can change anything I want as many times as I want without having to take it some where and pay. EFI and a Wideband have been the some of the best money I have spent on my car. And you also get the scan tool as well, which the handheld does not give you. It is impossiable to effectively and accuratley tune without being able to scan.