Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with eletrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with eletrical issue

Well this issue is pretty complex so Im going to explain it to the best of my abilities.

My SS has had a eletrical issue for quite sometime and now its made the car inoperable. First off heres the codes its throwing:

C0050 - RR Wheel Speed Circuit Malfunction (Current)
B1001 - Option Configuration Error (History) (Immature)
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (History)
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit (Old) (Current) (Immature)
C0110 - Pump Motor Circuit Malfunction (Current)
P0801 - Reverse Inhibit Control Circuit Malfunction (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (History) (Immature)
U1301 - Class 2 Short to Battery (History) (Immature)
U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (History) (Immature)
U1040 - Loss of Class 2 Communications with ABS (History) (Immature)
U1096 - Loss of Communications with IPC (History) (Immature)

Now some of those loss of communication codes are supposedly throw when I use my HPTuners according to thier website.

Now for the other symptoms. I finally got the transmission/oil pan issue fixed and started to drive it up the road only to find a misfire at 2600rpm (clears up once you gas it) and then after about 3 miles the engine just shut off. So I pull over and try to crank it only to find that it will fire up for a second or two and then shut back off.

The last issue is the voltage. The voltage on the dash reads low (but every other gauge on the dash is wrong except the gas gauge. The gauges on the dash also do some crazy, random **** such as doing a sweep every time you start the car, the speedometer needle will peg all the way til it hits the oil pressure needle. My HPTuners log also confirms the low voltage as it reads 12.6 at the most while the car is running. However the altenator is charging the battery at 14.1v.

You gotta a suggestion, shoot it my way because Im about at wits end with this car.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
The know it all's know it all

Ground Cable from the battery to the chassis and the battery to the engine along with dash and body grounds. Sounds like typical ground cable issues.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Grounds are good, any other suggestions?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:38 PM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by EvoByDarwin
Grounds are good, any other suggestions?
No they aren't. All of those codes pop up when you have a bad chassis ground. Most likely the ones on the back of the heads. Trust me i have been through this before. same codes same issues.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Most electircal problems are on the ground side not the power, so like Sean said you should deffinitely check to make sure that all of your grounds are hooked up and then check again. Has the engine ever been removed from the car before? There could also be a problem with your pcm or one of your other computers, so you could have your pcm tested and that might give you some answers.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I checked the ground mentioned (on the back of the head) and it was loose enough for me to back the bolt out by hand. Even still after inspecting the cable and tightening the bolt, the problem still persists.

Ive had more than a couple people tell me this sounds like the BCM shitting the bed, but Im not sure on how to confirm whether the BCM is good or not.

Also, I re-checked both grounds comming off of the negative battery terminal, and of course the one on the back of the heads, anyone know where the rest are?

Last edited by EvoByDarwin; 12-18-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I checked the ground mentioned (on the back of the head) and it was loose enough for me to back the bolt out by hand. Even still after inspecting the cable and tightening the bolt, the problem still persists.

Ive had more than a couple people tell me this sounds like the BCM shitting the bed, but Im not sure on how to confirm whether the BCM is good or not.

Also, I re-checked both grounds comming off of the negative battery terminal, and of course the one on the back of the heads, anyone know where the rest are?

Theres a ground that goes to the back of the alternator bracket I believe. It is also connected to the frame rail on the drivers side in front of the motor area, dont remember if its the same ground wire but those are 2 points I remember off the top of my head. If the Pcm was ever pulled out you may wanna check it to make sure both plugs went back into it all the way. I think there is a ground wire on the pass side of the bottom of the block to the battery terminal. Also just because you tighten a ground that was loose doesnt mean that it's all good, you should pull it off, clean ground wire and surface it's mating too just to be sure. Hope this helps a little good luck.
Ron H
Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Teching In

The BCM is the body control module which controls lights, climate control etc. With the problems that you're having it should be your VCM that is going bad, if that is your problem. I'd think that you could take a computer to a dealership to have it checked...other than that I don't know how else you can have it checked but I can find out. If a nut or bolt for a ground, or any wire for that matter, is even just a little loose, is damaged or has any corrosion it can cause a problem.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Banned

I keep this on hand because it comes up every week. Seldom do people make a second post with "fixing the ground didn't work".