Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Maf

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm

I have been been tuning my ve in sd and then calibrating the maf for the last year and it works well for me...

I have just began to tune my ve for my turbo and with the turbo piping the temp changes from 60-90 withing the time im tuning..

I can have all of my stfts in place around -3 and then the temp can go up to around 80ish and the stfs go to hell...

I havent spend enough time to understand all the variables of this stuff but that seems to say to me that map and iat do not adjust well?

Is there something im missing?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing is your tuning for a turbo with stft's......I had that happen all the time. To do any fueling right, especially with a turbo, you need a wideband. After tuning both ways, I have never had my fueling stray on me like that after tuning with the wideband.

But I do always tune my VE and then do my MAF, both with AFR error percentage with a wideband. My trims stay within 3% from summer to winter. Even going back and having to do some work after mods to the VE in different seasons my error percentage isnt much different.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Yeah, I can only use HPtuners, not write it. I'm just a customer. I wish I did have the software knowledge that those guys have, though.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I suppose by this logic the engineers at Dodge are stupid for selling cars that have no maf all over the country? The only reason that people have to retune an SD tune for weather is because they don't have the time or resources to dial in all the various pcm tables to account for all possible altitude and weather conditions. If this is done properly (which is extremely time consuming), the pcm will make necessary adjustments for whatever baro and temp is encountered. The one big advantage that a maf has is the ability to compensate for different changes to parts in the motor. This allows cars to pass emissions whether they have 0 miles from the factory or 100k miles with a bad air filter and half clogged up exhaust. This is the one main reason that our cars even have a maf.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tblu92
And I have learned something as well-these forums are for people who have nothing better to do with their time but spout out ridiculas formulas-and make themselves feel important---Its not rocket science the key is just knowing what eash part does---and you will not see me here on this forum again as I am too busy to listen to all the wannabe tuners and self proclaimed experts that gain pleasure by name calling and throwing insults -showing only their ignorance----
Aye aye aye...
Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
I suppose by this logic the engineers at Dodge are stupid for selling cars that have no maf all over the country? The only reason that people have to retune an SD tune for weather is because they don't have the time or resources to dial in all the various pcm tables to account for all possible altitude and weather conditions. If this is done properly (which is extremely time consuming), the pcm will make necessary adjustments for whatever baro and temp is encountered. The one big advantage that a maf has is the ability to compensate for different changes to parts in the motor. This allows cars to pass emissions whether they have 0 miles from the factory or 100k miles with a bad air filter and half clogged up exhaust. This is the one main reason that our cars even have a maf.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also consider up until 06 the I6 trailblazers/Envoy/Saab 97X/Bravada/Rainier made by GM were SD as well...just more food for thought.