PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Starting Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Default Starting Woes...

Hey guys, I have been having a problem, lately, with my car not wanting to turn on. The other morning I go to start my car to head to work and the car does nothing but turn over and make the ignition sound. It has spark I believe, and the starter is fine, just no exhaust note or anything. I assume there isn’t any fuel, but it doesn’t make any sense as to why there wouldn’t be any. My car has a Racetronix fuel pump kit, with the stupid relay and fuse box. Before when I had a problem with the pump, the fuse would blow continually until I replaced the relay. It has worked fine for the past 3 months since then, and doesn’t blow fuses anymore. Recently, however, the car has adopted sporadic starting behavior; this has been in the last 2 weeks. Car has received a new battery, new alternator, new pump, new injectors, and a new fuel filter all within the last 6-8 months, so I am at a loss.

That same day, I came home from work and I went back out to the car to try and start it, the ******* thing fires right up with no changes at all. I drive it around and everything is fine and dandy. The next day I went around town to the bank and what not since I had work off, and it ran fine all day. Then I swing by the bank, use the ATM, walk back to the car and start it. The car makes the sound of firing and then dies, I know I had spark. I give it a few seconds and the car fires again, and then falls dead after making the sound of ignited fuel. I pop the hood, check the fuse in the fuel pump, it looks good, but I replace it anyways. Prime the pump for a few seconds, try and fire her up and the same thing happens again.

My brother was in town with me, and he has AAA, so he said he would call them for me. I told him give it a few minutes, and then we will call them as a last resort. Well we wait around for about 5 minutes in the bank parking lot, I check the oil since the hood is up, and it doesn’t hurt to check anyways. I see it’s a bit low, add half a quart, then go to turn it on again. It roars to life, look at my gauges, battery is fine, oil pressure is fine, engine temp was bellow 210, and it seemed fine. Drove it home and it was fine, no strange noises or anything.

Drove it to work today, and it started fine twice.

Does anyone know what could potentially be the problem, or could someone show me where to look to start me off? This is beginging to be a complete pain in the ***, and lucky for me I have a daily driver I can use.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:47 AM
Banned

Did you check the intake system, mostly AFTER the maf? Also check the throttle body and make sure it's secure. If that shows nothing, I'd keep looking for a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 01-02-2007 | 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Did you check the intake system, mostly AFTER the maf? Also check the throttle body and make sure it's secure. If that shows nothing, I'd keep looking for a vacuum leak somewhere.
Will do, I just tightened it up the other day, but I will look along the intake, there is a chance the bellows is falling off.
Old 01-02-2007 | 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you got fuel pressure? Any DTC codes?
Spark?
Spark and fuel are easy to check, pull a plug and check the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rails for pressure. But not at the same time!
Old 01-02-2007 | 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ringram
Have you got fuel pressure? Any DTC codes?
Spark?
Spark and fuel are easy to check, pull a plug and check the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rails for pressure. But not at the same time!
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so I can't check that. The car has spark.

For some reason it's running completely fine at the moment.

I have a EVAP sensor code that I have continued to throw since I put the new pump in, but I was told it wont have any effect on performance or drivability.