Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle wont stay at set value

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle wont stay at set value

First off, I'm not the one doing the tuning, but he probably doesn't know much more than me at this point. The problem is, with the idle set to 800 it will only actually idle at that for one run. Next time I start the car it idles at 1000 again.

It's a '00 WS6 with the MS4 cam and longtubes-cats-exhaust. So the tune isn't too radical. But am I possible running in SD? I live in Nevada and it's pretty cold here. The car was originally tuned last summer when it was 120 degrees, and the last couple of times I've driven it the temps were more like 40-50

Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

If you have a scanner, you could confirm: Desired Idle speed as well as Open Loop vs Closed Loop status (although I doubt this is your problem).

Generally, the idle tables are set to idle at a higher RPM with the RPM's decreasing to some stable point once the ECT has reached a normal operating value. e.g. a stock Avalanche is set to idle at 750 with ECT = 68* (F) regardless of being in Park or Gear, AC on or off. As the ECT increases towards normal operating temps, the desired idle is lowered to 550.

Does that car continue to idle high after warm up? Stick or Auto? If it were something physical (like a vacuum leak), I would not expect the idle to stay at 800 one time and then switch to 1000 the next.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, it stays at that idle regardless of engine temp. It is a 6-speed.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you have a tuning tool available. It would be good to post your tune and log file. Preferably a log file where it idles at 800 and another where it idles at 1000. Have you checked the desired idle while scanning?

Lots of things can affect idle: Did you tune the VE? You might have too much timing, and you definitely need to verify your base airflow as well. If you have modified the Cracker and/or Follower tables, you may be chasing your own tail without ensuring the base flow is correct first.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Cracker? Follower? Heck, I don't even know what you're talking about. But even worse, I'm pretty sure my "tuner" doesn't either. Thanks for your help, I'm just going to save up for my own EFILive/Roadrunner and take this into my own hands.