Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do my Bolt-ons need a tune???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do my Bolt-ons need a tune???

Well, I did an emissions test in my auto tech class last week. My instructor(a very knowledgable master tech) said Im running a little lean based on the exhaust readings. I have an LS6 intake, SLP Lid, Pacesetter LT's & ORY, & Magnaflow Exhaust as well as !EGR & !AIR deleted on the factory tune. Except for the lid, I've installed all the mods in the month Ive owned the car.

Im actually looking into getting HP tuners soon but after finding this info out, it looks like I'm gonna get it sooner than later. Do you guys think I may need a tune bad based off the mods and your knowledge of mods and tuning??

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

You could benefit from one but I do not think it is necessary
Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
You could benefit from one but I do not think it is necessary
Agree, although, learning to tune at this stage has benefits in that you are not in dire need, and you can take your time to become acquainted with the EFI world.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

idk how doing an emissions test at idle can tell you your car is lean... as the car will try its best to stay at a ~14.6 AFR at idle and part throttle, if things are maxing out thats when it would go lean.

you would benefit from a tune, but with what you have done i don't think its making you go lean; and if you wanted to buy the software yourself and DIY, that would be the same way I went. or you could do mods and get it tuned once or twice after heavy mods such as heads and cam or what not.
I bought EFI Live and love it.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

We used a kentMoore 5 gas analyzer. You can tell based off of certain gases reading high and some reading low. it measures NOX, CO2, Hydrocarbons, o2, and CO. I just threw out my readings. I didnt think Id "need" a tune bad or anything, just kind of wondering if I should not drive the car for a while w/o tuning. I'll likely be ordering HP Tuners this week!!! Me & my bro are going half(he has an 02 Silverado) and were gonna figure the program out. Thanks!!