Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need a definition for a few things

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i need a definition for a few things

i need a definition/explanation of each so i know what they mean.

closed loop
open loop
Speed density

yes i have done a little bit of tunning but mainly after some one has gave me a base to setup and i do the timming and fuel....

Thanks,

Tyler
Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Closed loop: AFR is kept inline with O2 sensors
Open Loop: AFR doesn't rely on O2 sensors, instead relies on internal tabling to approximate fueling
Speed Density: Calculating the amount of air via vacuum/pressure (MAP sensor) , then using internal tables to determine fueling based on vacuum (no vacuum = 14.7psi = 100% cylinder fill = ~105kpa at sea level, MAP sensor measures, PCM interprets as kilopascals and looks up the fueling requirements based on that)
Old 01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out EFITO.com....lots of good tuning info there.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

Closed Loop - method of controlling fuel in which O2 sensor's provide feedback to the controller indicating perfect, rich, or lean; thus, the ECM (engine control module) can make changes based on the feedback. If lean, add fuel. If rich, pull fuel. Specifically in LSx vehicles, we are talking about narrowband O2 sensors that only report rich/lean versus the stoichiometric A/F ratio (~14.7:1 for gasoline).

Open Loop - there is no provision of feedback from the O2 sensors to alter the A/F ratio; the ECM simply calculates the amount of air entering the engine (see the next definition) and then determines the amount of fuel to add to achieve a given A/F ratio which is generally set in one or more tables

Speed Density - a method of calculating the mass of air entering the engine; preferably using the ideal gas law
PV = nRT where

P = pressure (from MAP sensor)
V = volume (engine)
R = gas constant
T = temperature; IAT, ECT some combination of the two or maybe even an estimated 'charge temperature'
n = mass of air (what we want to know)
Speed Density can be compared to a Mass Airflow sensor (MAF). LSx cars come from the factory with a MAF which is another means of calculating the mass of air entering the engine. LSx MAF's use a 'hot wire' in which the PCM monitors the amount of current necessary to maintain a given temperature. The amount or current required is converted into a mass of air entering the engine.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a writeup i did a few months back because of all the confusion about what modes a vehicle can enter http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8994
Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
i need a definition/explanation of each so i know what they mean.

closed loop
open loop
Speed density

yes i have done a little bit of tunning but mainly after some one has gave me a base to setup and i do the timming and fuel....

Thanks,

Tyler
along with all the good info coming from the experienced tuners in this forum, i also think you could benefit from a book or two. my choice, "how to tune and modify engine management system" by jeff hartman . and get yourself a wideband instrument.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAF vs SD:
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...on-part-1.html

OL vs CL:
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...-2-olvscl.html