PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Loop SD Tuning - Engine Damage?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Open Loop SD Tuning - Engine Damage?

Open-Loop Speed-Density tuning seems dangerous to me. How likely is engine damage at part throttle due to VE tabe errors? Are melted pistons possible at partial throttle? What about an AFR of 17 at and near idle? What regions are dangerous - obviously high load at high rpm but what about high load at low rpm or low load at high rpm?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

of course when your completely in control theres the possibility of user error...whats why most of the guides tell newbies to add xx amount to their VE table to avoid going lean. In the enough though if you plan on tuning OLSD you need to have a grasp of tuning though as it does take a little thinking on your part to accomplish.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Load" is the key word. Just try to burn at piston at idle. Even at light load, you would be surprised at how lean you can run. Go do some scans on your stock tune and see just how high you can get your MAP values before the PCM switches over to open loop. The PCM is commanding 14.7:1 until you reach open loop. You might be surprised.

Start at idle, low load cells and work your way up.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John-SDPC
"Load" is the key word. Just try to burn at piston at idle. Even at light load, you would be surprised at how lean you can run. Start at idle, low load cells and work your way up.
This is the reassurance I needed. I understand the PCM reasonably well but I have no experience with melted pistons and I want to preserve my innocence.

Thanks, Gary
Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When you first go OLSD you add some amount (based on your mods) to the VE table, and then using wideband data you "correct" the VE table.

And generally you setup the PE and OLFA tables for a suitably rich AFR under load.

If you hear/see knock, analyze the advance and AFR (and wheather the VE table is dialed in yet), and do appropriate correction to avoid knock.

Think a little and there's no danger.

Search this Thread