PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Lack Of Power. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Lack Of Power. Help Please!

My car's been acting funny for a while but intermittently. at first i thought it was because it was sucking in water through the air filter because i debaffeled the hood and it only acted up when it rained hard. however it acted up one day after it had been raining and i hit a puddle. today it did that same thing but it wasn't raining and i didn't hit any puddles, i was just backing out of my driveway(it did rain the night before).the car started up fine and idled smooth intill i was halfway out and then i felt the idle go low and rough and there was a total lack of power. the problem went away after about a mile of driving it like that, then got me to work fine. i believe it is somesort of electrical problem, maybe something arcing or shorting out due to moisture, but i don't know what. this is really annoying and i was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem or fixed it.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Check to make sure water is not getting to the PCM. There was an LS1 brought in multiple times to the service dept. at a dealership in Lansing with the same issue. It took them 5 visits to realize the PCM was getting wet and was the source of the problem. It may not be the same for you....but, check none the less. It's also a good idea to pull the filter and see if it's soaked.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Check to make sure water is not getting to the PCM. There was an LS1 brought in multiple times to the service dept. at a dealership in Lansing with the same issue. It took them 5 visits to realize the PCM was getting wet and was the source of the problem. It may not be the same for you....but, check none the less. It's also a good idea to pull the filter and see if it's soaked.
thanks for your input bud. i forgot to mention that the filter doesn't get wet i checked it when i that that was the problem. what do you mean by the pcm might be getting wet? from where? it is under the hood so do you mean at the connector or leaking into the body of the PCM?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's on the passenger side rear of the engine bay partially under the cowl panel.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QK-WS6
thanks for your input bud. i forgot to mention that the filter doesn't get wet i checked it when i that that was the problem. what do you mean by the pcm might be getting wet? from where? it is under the hood so do you mean at the connector or leaking into the body of the PCM?
Water was running off the windshield/cowl onto the top of the PCM in that case...