Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging under throttle blip

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinging under throttle blip

Well, I noticed it back in the cooler weather a little and didn't really pay attention to it but now it's more obvious with the warmer weather and the windows open. When the car is warmed up and cruising along, if I blip the throttle real quick to accelerate, I can hear the slight pinging and I can see the knock retard kick in about 2-5 degrees depending on what the speed is. I did the Seafoam and I run 93 octane all the time. My mods are the lid, ported TB, plug wires and GMMG cat-back. I'm wondering if the cats are somewhat clogged and holding heat in(they do smell funny and have since I got the car), or the ported TB is allowing air to enter faster than the computer can react and add fuel, or it needs new plugs(which I plan to do soon anyway). My short term fuel trims seem to be negative(Predator programmer as a scanner) all the time so it makes me think it's going lean when I blip the throttle. There is no pinging at higher rpm's or knock retard so that makes me think the computer is leaning out. Is there any easy fix or programming that can fix it? Or, anybody have a stock LS1 TB I can borrow to troubleshoot with? It's not a real big deal but I want to get rid of it. Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt that be related to too much timing?

When the engine is up to speed & in the warmer weather, makes our cars more apt to ping.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the normal timing range while under cruising conditions? I see it at 40-42 degrees under some conditions and that seems high. I wonder if someone did some form of tuning on the car before I got it. I pulled the PCM fuse to allow the computer to reset and I still see the 40-42 timing at times. I plan on changing plugs soon as a first step to eliminate them as a problem, but it's only the sudden throttle that causes the pinging, not the high rpm's.