PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

speedo not working after gear swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo not working after gear swap

I just finished my 3.73 gear swap in my car ('96 m6 TA) and now the speedo does not work at all. I am getting the error code p0500 which is just a general vss malfunction. i checked the voltage to the sensor and the resistance of the sensor. both seem to be ok. I even swapped it out with one that i know for a fact works. still nothing!! is there something else that would cause this to happen. I expected the speedometer to be inaccurate, but not to stop working all together. Is this something that could be reprogrammed or is there something else besides the VSS that would cause this error??
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

There should be no reason at all that a gear swap should affect the speedo not working. It will be incorrect, but will work. The only thing I could image is that somehow putting the driveshaft back in you hit the speedo gear on the output shaft, I am not sure it is possible to do, but I cannot think of anything else other than the Speed sensor was near failure and you working aronund it finished it. Remove the speed sensor and give it a visual, many times the problem is obvious. Good luck
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Teching In

turns out it wasnt the sensor on the diff....it was the sensor on the transmission right next to the reverse lockout solenoid. I guess I nocked it off when i put the torque arm back on.