PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use Alex Pepper's OBD2 car code scanning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Alex Pepper's OBD2 car code scanning?

I just picked up car code's scanning and would like some tips and tricks from those that use it on here.

I'm trying to figure out how to monitor knock. Can I graph it and watch in real time on the program or do I have to record my session and then plot the points in excel or something of that nature? I added it to my digital dash as a gauge but wasn't sure how to set up the min/max points (if needed) or if I needed to set up any other parameters.

Basically, how do you guys set up your sessions and digital dashboards? And does it have WB 02 support?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met the guy... genius!

But he looks and acts pretty much like the area 51 scientist guy from independence day.... lol

Last edited by mr2guru; 08-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you use his obd2 software?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been using his software for ~6 years and it's very complete. It doesn't have a super intuitive interface that can me customized, but it supports every PID available. It does not currently have wideband support.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a way to graph knock retard? I just need a way of monitoring knock whether it be on the road or posting it into excel. I figured out how to pull it up and add it to one of the digital dash guages, but I wanted to know how to log it so that I can see it amongst other stats.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

back up top. Still looking for some more real-time info and plotting. Also, is there a reference guide online for all the acronyms?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

to the top.

How do I export the data and graph it in excel?
Every time I try to export it returns a blank sheet. I also want to know how to export only one string of data, knock retard in particular.

Also, just how accurate is the "real-time" data. For example, it seems like the data updates every second or so rather than every millisecond (or instantly). If I replay the data, is it showing everything to me? I'm basically making sure that the KR data is displays is accurate and that there is not KR occuring inbetween the data that the OBD program is recording.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Launching!

As for the read-out intervals, the more that you try to monitor to lower the frequency of an individual measurement. If you only select a few parameters to monitor they are read more frequently. When you are trying to monitor something like KR you need to use the LS1 enhanced add-in but as you seem to have the KR on the dashboard you probably have that figured out.

In stead of selecting "all possible" when trying to monitor just kick on KR and it will highlight. Then send that.

Also, when you click on a parameter it tells you what the acronym is on the bottom of the window so that takes away some of the mystery.

There is a good help section in the software as well to help you figure out the exporting issue. I printed out the entire help section and have it as a handy reference book. I have also exported lots of scans to excel and it works OK. I does send a lot of time stamps that you will probably want to edit out.

If you are still having problems try sending Alex an email. I have found him really helpful.

Also, he also provides monthly updates of the software for free that you can download off his site if you have a registered version of the software.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the tips. Ill try only sending KR data next time. For some reason I can't get it to connect now. Keeps giving a "busy" blinking yellow/red and won't connect. I tried a different laptop and it worked.

Do you just install the driver once for the USB?

Quick Reply: Anyone use Alex Pepper's OBD2 car code scanning?