PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS/Security problem I think...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS/Security problem I think...

To make a long story short. I put a cam/supporting valvetrain in my brothers 1996 3.8 Camaro.

He ordered a PCM from "PCMforless" pre-tuned for his mods. All electrical connections, wires and grounds are hooked up. The car will not start. The fuel pump primes and the instrument cluster illuminates but it just flashes along with the turn signals, tail lights, and tag light. The flashing stops after 1-2 minutes, but comes back if you turn the key off then back on.

We performed the "security relearn" procedure of turning the key to the on/run position for no less than 11 minutes, then turning it off for 30 seconds, then trying to start it. I can't even count how many times I've done this.

I put the old PCM back in and it still wont start. It does the exact same thing as if the new PCM was in.

The security light in the instrument cluster does not stay illuminated either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

The F-body cars use a PWM signal from the BCM to enable fuel, therefore the VATS link procedure is not required (it is only used on Serial VATS systems).

Some things to look at:

Does the starter engage when you turn the key? If not, then the BCM is not enabling the starter, very likely due to the resistor in the key not being the correct value, or some other failure in the key pellet system

If the starter engages, but the fuel injectors are not spraying, this likely means the fuel enable signal from the BCM is not getting to the PCM, or the signal is incorrect. It needs to be a PWM signal in the 40-60hz range.

Not sure about the flashing lights. It sounds like some sort of security system in the car is being triggered. If it is aftermarket, it might be disabling some portion of the system.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The fuel pump primes but the starter does no engage.

It just makes a buzzing sound when I turn the key.