Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install a 2 bar pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install a 2 bar pressure sensor

Hello. I recently finished installing a 2 bar pressure sensor in my Trans Am, and I thought I would share what I learned.

Step 1: Actually find a 2 bar pressure sensor. At least around my area, this request will get you blank confused stares at many auto parts stores. The part number I used (from the HPTuners forum) is GM part # 12580698 or AC Delco part # 213-1631. The dealer wanted about $100 for the GM part, but a local parts store got me the AC Delco part for about $55.

Step 2: Remove the old MAP sensor. Like pretty much everything on an F-body, it is way under the cowl. The MAP sensor fits in the center of the manifold in the back, and it is mounted facing down. Reach around the rear of the manifold and lift the sensor out of its port, then remove the wire connection.

Step 3: Grind the extra ear off the 2 bar sensor. The new sensor has 2 "ears" on it, and it won't fit in the previous spot with them on. Be sure to get all of it off; this is a bit of a tight spot. Clean the sensor. I used some keyboard cleaning air.

Step 4: Remove the rubber sleeve from the old sensor and place it on the new one. It is a bit tough to remove, but if you're careful, you can avoid tearing it.

Step 5: Connect the new sensor to the wiring. The sensor will fit exactly like the factory sensor, which is nice.

Step 6: Install the sensor in its port. It is underneath the cowl and a tight fit, but if all of the excess plastic has been removed, it will go in.

Step 7: Apply the 2 bar upgrade to the file. HPTuners help is very useful.

Step 8: Reflash your PCM and enjoy!

I have a few pics available if anyone wants.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did mine like two days ago... It was a BIOTCH to get my stock one out.... The best way that I found to make sure the 2 bar goes in is to make your hands completely straight with your fingers aligned and put the back of your hand against the cowl and push... that way you have a little bit of leverage... I'm actually logging some tunes now and about to make a night run.... It's so much more fun when you can actually enjoy boost...

Quick Reply: How to install a 2 bar pressure sensor