Sponsored by:

Tuning with open headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning with open headers?

Hey guys-

I am smack in the middle of my H/C install and due to the previous muffler shops lack of wisdom - the custom built my Y-pipe onto the car and left me zero ways to get it off the car, if needed - anyhow, I had to drop the headers for the heads install and had to hack up my y-pipe to get the headers off.. It was simply a case of not trying to seperate the pipes with no slack and I had to create the slack.

Anyway - my tuner is going to come to the house after the install to get the car driveable so I can take it to the dyno and have it dyno tuned..

Right now, my Y is hacked.. In order to get the Y fixed, I need to get the car to the exhaust guys.

What I am trying to do is plan for the best sequence of events to get the car tuned and up and running fully..

So I'm trying to decide if I should get the car basically ready, minus the exhaust and let Scott come over and give it an "initial" tune or if I should just drive the car over to the exhaust shop with the open headers and then get it tuned and then take it to the dyno..

Seems like it would make more sense to get all the exhaust on before I tune it.. My big concern is that I will be going with 42# injectors and I don't want to hurt the car without a tune on the 5 mile trip and back to the exhaust guys..

What do you guys think?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't run it with #42 injectors on a stock tune. It probably won't even idle with so much fuel being dumped in the holes. It'll wash the cylinders. Probably foul your plugs and maybe even kill the O2's.

Try to get someone to load at least a minimal tune in it (IFR rescaled for higher inj flow, and 400, 800, 1200 area of the VE table scaled down to 60%, 70%, 80% of stock values). Then drive it to your exhaust shop.

Quick Reply: Tuning with open headers?