Sponsored by:

Another P1637 story...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another P1637 story...

Hey guys.

I am currently in the middle of trying to diagnose the 1637 gremlin. I have been throwing the code for the better part of the year now, so I'm trying to get to the bottom if it because it's keeping me from getting the car inspected.

My question is will the wire that leads from the PCM to the Alternator show voltage if I put a test light to it? The reason I ask this is because I am currently putting a test light to the area where I spliced the wire from the PCM and the replacement wire together. I checked it with both the ignition on and the engine running and the test light does not light up.

Does this mean that the wire doesn't have voltage running through it?
Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could just set it to non emissions or not reported....
Old 10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ringram
You could just set it to non emissions or not reported....
Can you elaborate on this?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Can you elaborate on this?
He's suggesting to set that specific DTC to "Non Emissions" or "Not Reported" in the tune. This way the code will not be thrown and you will be able to pass inspection with no problems. Then, if the code is actually causing any problems, you can easily go back and tackle it. The link below has some good information regarding P1637.

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8806.php
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
He's suggesting to set that specific DTC to "Non Emissions" or "Not Reported" in the tune. This way the code will not be thrown and you will be able to pass inspection with no problems. Then, if the code is actually causing any problems, you can easily go back and tackle it. The link below has some good information regarding P1637.

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8806.php
Good information. I've seen that previously and researched it already.

If I wanted to do this, how would I go about doing this? My local performance shop?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

I have the same problem. Once you break that little wire it seems like it is never the same again. Let me know if you find a solution.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same code for over 3 years now. I tried everything in the book. It happened after an engine swap, but everything worked great and the alternator charged fine. A couple of other tuners I talked with came to the conclusion that it was a "ghost code" and setting it to no light and no report would allow you go on with you life and never look back. I did just that and all is well.

Find an LS1 shop or a friend with tuning capabilities for your car and they can do it easily. If they have trouble, we can help them out. It's a simple task with LS1edit,HPTuners, EFILive,etc.