PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can stock Tach be improved to read accurately/precisely?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can stock Tach be improved to read accurately/precisely?

Its a question that I have been thinking about for awhile. Can the stock tach be "fixed" to read right. Or any of ther other gauges for that matter i.e. temp gauge.

From my understanding the ECM gives the signal to the stock tach and any aftermarket guages tap into this same signal. Thats when the descrepency between the stock gauge and the aftermarket gauge rears its head.

Can the stock electronics be improved to read correctly? I am posting in hopes that someone with a background in EE or electronics can shed some light.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can stock Tach be improved to read accurately/precisely?

....i dont think the stock gauge can be improved...ive never heard of anything like that working..
Old 06-17-2003, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

As stated in the post the ECM outputs the signal and the electronics in the tach handle it from there.

Can the electronics be rebuild with better components to improve its accuracy?

I am pretty sure it can be rebuilt to work better but I don't think anybody has really tried. Well at the very least I have seen no information up to now on it. There are people on this board who can do it I just hope he/she runs across this post.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

find an airport near you and there should be an electronics shop there, talk to them about it they build gauge electronics for all kinds of applications...
Old 06-18-2003, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

hmmmm not a bad idea!!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Launching!

no clues yet? I'd be real interested in this. I'm not too fond of the idea of adding an aftermarket tach when I've already got one with the instruments.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Well I'm an EE with a good background, but I'm afraid I have bad news . . . the problem is not in the gages themselves, but in the PCM. It takes good data from the sensors, jacks it around a bit, then sends it to the gage controller in a digital format. The gage controller just converts it to an analog signal to drive the gages. The problem is in the firmware inside the PCM . . . what we need is a patch that could be loaded with LS1edit.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Well I'm an EE with a good background, but I'm afraid I have bad news . . . the problem is not in the gages themselves, but in the PCM. It takes good data from the sensors, jacks it around a bit, then sends it to the gage controller in a digital format. The gage controller just converts it to an analog signal to drive the gages. The problem is in the firmware inside the PCM . . . what we need is a patch that could be loaded with LS1edit.
that might explain y my atap idle rpm readings don't match what the PCM table calls for. It says 750 at op temp but atap shows it at about 850.

So u working on that patch or what?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Where did you get your info? From what i've seen the signal that is sent to the gauges is simply increasing voltage, much like the TPS...
Old 06-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Where did you get your info? From what i've seen the signal that is sent to the gauges is simply increasing voltage, much like the TPS...
2001 Service Manual. The signal that goes to the gages themselves is analog (as you say, voltage) but it comes from a controller module on the gage cluster. The Gage controller gets it's signal from the PCM in "Class 2 Data" format.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

find an airport near you and there should be an electronics shop there, talk to them about it they build gauge electronics for all kinds of applications...
I spent several years working at airports as an avionics technician. Without detailed drawings and plenty of shop time, you'll not have much luck at most airports (and shop rates are high, unless you can find a gearhead freak to help you out after hours). Cars are a completely different animal than aircraft (and much harder to work on). I'm not saying a good shop "couldn't" try to fix it, I'm just suggesting that it is not related to much (other than being electronic) of anything in a plane.....

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2003, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

2001 Service Manual. The signal that goes to the gages themselves is analog (as you say, voltage) but it comes from a controller module on the gage cluster. The Gage controller gets it's signal from the PCM in "Class 2 Data" format.
He's right, I have the whole system printed out here in front of me. It is converted by a "box" that is external to the PCM and then drives the tach.....
Old 06-22-2003, 02:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Where are you getting your information Cal? It's wrong.

Most of the gauges grab their info from the class 2 VPW data bus however the tach does not. The tach has its own signal still which is perfectly fine. You can see this when you add an aftermarket tach.

The problem is the gauge itself.

I have a 99 PCM setup with a 97 cluster. If you recall the LT1's have quick responsive tach's unlike the LS1 clusters. My tach is currently off but with a tach adjuster box I hope it to still be responsive.

Also, for those of you who have tachs off at idle, you needle is off, not the signal. You need to pop the needle an dput it back on.. I've never tried this though.

Also, 99+ coolant temps are grabbed from the VPW bus as well which is why they aren't enirely accurate, however the 98 setup has its own feed from the sensor.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Magnus

So your saying that the 98 temp sensor is directly hooked up to the gauge?

What parts would need to be replaced in the stock tach to improve its precision?

What makes the LT1 tach "quick responsive"?

I know theres a bit of controls engineering involved in this, unfortunately its not my specialty otherwise I would try and work something out and do a write. I also have a few sources at GM but don't want to tap it just yet.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the 98 temp gauge is connected to a 3 wire sensor that the 98's have.. 99+ have 2 wire connectors. You need a 98 cluster WITH a 98 sensor to achieve accurate temp sensor.. You can't rig up a 99+ cluster to work with the 98 sensor.

GM makes the LT1 tach quick responsive.. ANy more than that I couldn't tell you.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Where are you getting your information Cal? It's wrong.

Most of the gauges grab their info from the class 2 VPW data bus however the tach does not. The tach has its own signal still which is perfectly fine. You can see this when you add an aftermarket tach.

The problem is the gauge itself.

I have a 99 PCM setup with a 97 cluster. If you recall the LT1's have quick responsive tach's unlike the LS1 clusters. My tach is currently off but with a tach adjuster box I hope it to still be responsive.

Also, for those of you who have tachs off at idle, you needle is off, not the signal. You need to pop the needle an dput it back on.. I've never tried this though.

Also, 99+ coolant temps are grabbed from the VPW bus as well which is why they aren't enirely accurate, however the 98 setup has its own feed from the sensor.
As I mentioned in my other post above, I got the information from the 2001 Service manual. If I'm wrong, it's wrong also. :p But I don't doubt that what you are saying may be true for the the earlier models. If so, it should be possible to remove just the gage from the late model cluster and replace it with the '98 one along with the temp sensor. You would probably have to leave the existing sensor in place for the PCM, and find somewhere else to place the new one just for the gage.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The problem with that is... the 98 guage takes a different fuel level signal than the 99+'s... 98 takes a formatted signal from the PCM where as the 99 takes it off of the class 2 bus I believe.

Switching to a 98 cluster anyway still leaves you with slow responsive tach.

PS. The service manual is wrong.. *i think* lol.. but I'm pretty sure it is wrong.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

the thing that leads me to believe the manual is wrong is, look at all the people with various types of shift lights....

the basic shift light is triggered by a certain voltage that you select, no?
for intalling the shift light you tap into the appropriate(don't remember without looking it up) wire coming off the PCM labeled tach(utilizing voltage?) thus the tach does have it's own "feed" if you will, no?

unless shift light can decode the digital signal being sent to the gauge cluster they must have a seperate feed.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

The problem with that is... the 98 guage takes a different fuel level signal than the 99+'s... 98 takes a formatted signal from the PCM where as the 99 takes it off of the class 2 bus I believe.

Switching to a 98 cluster anyway still leaves you with slow responsive tach.

PS. The service manual is wrong.. *i think* lol.. but I'm pretty sure it is wrong.
No, I'm talking about changing just the gages that we have a problem with, not the whole cluster. For example, those that have a problem with the temp gage could swap out JUST the temp gage, but keep what ever cluster they have; and add the older temp sender as well, but leaving the orignal temp sender intact to drive the PCM. The fuel gage would not affected at all. This would work assuming what you said about "98 setup has its own feed from the sensor" is true; we would just have to run the wires.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

The temp sensor issue sounds like it may have a resolution.

Probably need to get a part number on it. I'll work on that.

QuickSSilver touched on the points that I was making. Any aftermarket tach/light taps into the same signal coming from the PCM as the OEM tach. Again I am not an EE and my background in controls engineering is very weak at best.

I figure that the electronics the stock tach has after it recieves the signal can be replaced or modified to read correctly.

So who knows how to tinker with a tach?

You know this really sucks. I just moved and I don't have access to a digital camera anymore or tools. I really want to figure this out!