PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie PCM help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie PCM help

Hello everyone. I just rescued a 98 Vette that was rotting away. The previous owner says it needs a new ECM and has some major waterleaks. The waterleaks I have under control. The ECM is a different story. I bought a ECM and had it programmed with my VIN. Installed it yesterday, dash lights up, turn the key, nothing. I can hear relays clicking but the starter doesn't even try to turn over. My first assumtion is VATS and needing to have the BCM reprogammed for the new ECM but I am not so sure. The security light is NOT on, it comes on when you first turn the key on and goes off. If my problem is with VATS shouldn't the light be on all the time? Does VATS keep the starter from turning over as well as killing fuel? Is there something else I can check?
I have already jumped the starter direct and it is working when it gets power.
The car sat for awhile with no battery in it and the previous owner has the BCM and inside fuse panel laying in the floorboard. (Chasing the water leaks.)
Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a simmilar problem with my 2000 camaro swap.I dropped an lq4 in, it went pretty well.I left the stock pcm in,but the car only turns on, when my power programers is doing data logging...? the car wont even turnover, but thee starter kicks.some how i think we locked our selves out..i am going to post tonight and find out what wlll help us out.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have the starter wired wrong... VATS doesn't keep it from cranking - if it was VATS, it would fire momentarily and cut right off.

Have seen people wire the starter wrong many times, so I would look at that first...