Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hp tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp tuner question

I just got done with a h/c swap and want to goto efi/hp tuner for my tuning. im sure this is in the threads somewhere but i cant seem to find an answer to 1 major question. do you have to have a pc/laptop hooked up to log data or will the handheld log data and let you lookover/change data on your pc.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:50 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the HPT EIO Pro cable, you can install the desired configuration you want, plug the cable only into the PCM port, push record before making the pass and push the stop button after the pass. The data will be saved and then you can go back and view the runs later. You have to hold the button for a few seconds to start record and to stop record. You also have to stop recording before turning the key off or the logged data is lost.

It's a cool feature for sure. You can program the configuration you want by going into the scanner under SCAN>MPVI. That's also how you read/save the logs.

G/L
Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

unless you are a pro tuner, and know exactly what changes you need
to make before first start up, you are going to want a laptop to take
with you so you can make changes on the road.
you don`t want to be driving to far if you are overly rich or lean.
a laptop is a handy thing to have anyways.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Yeah I think I miss understood the question. You definitely need a laptop to tune or scan.

The stand alone datalogger allows the capability to scan runs without a laptop present.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the quick responses- I have a wideband and a predator and have the a/f pretty close to where it should be but now with the cam install i need to do some idle tuning and fine tune the a/f which i cant do with the predator. I dont have my own laptop but could get one to use from a buddy or from work. I was just wanting to know if i could log data without a laptop and use my pc to view/make changes and then apply the new tune without a laptop as well.. (basically does the handheld store the tune?) If not it looks like i need to get my hands on a laptop but it would be nice if i could do it without. once the tuning is setup ok i prolly wont touch it for some time.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 AM

The HPT system "handheld" is not actually a handheld unit. It's just a cable that allows stand alone data logging that stores logged runs. It does not store the tune in the cable. A laptop is going to be required, but you can pick one up pretty cheap these days and you'll be glad you did.

I hope this helps.