Efi Live Vs Hpt

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Efi Live Vs Hpt

Ok I Know Efi Live Has Cos 5 Which Is A Big Advantage Over Hpt
And I Know Efi Live Has Allison 6 Speed Tuneing For Duramax Trucks

What Other Advantages\disadvantages Does Efi Live Have Over Hpt?

Also Does Hpt Plan On "catching Up" In These Areas?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jpr if you want to be put on the LBZ/LMM allison beta list shoot me an email at bill at hptuners.com, we've already enabled reading & hope to have all of the TCM operating systems done by the end of this week.

As for COS vs. COS our real time tuning custom operating systems have a big advantage over any of their's in many ways.

We were the first to implement an Alpha-N fueling strategy for our SD operating systems, first to offer 2 or 3 bar custom os's(which use a single VE table rather than dual in efilive) & the only to offer real time tuning utilizing the stock pcm.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

What About A Cos 5 Knock Off? I Really Dont Wanna Use Some Sort Of Timeing Tricker For My N20
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Ttt I Wanna Hear More Opnions.. Hpt Has Been Good To Me But I Really Like Cos 5
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on it there has been at least 15 threads on it and almost all of them end up locked because people start arguing about who's is better and what they like better about the products. They both are great products and can virtually do the same things (just in difrent ways). It's just a matter of which layout and pricing structure best suites your needs

I'll put money on if these thread goes much farther, it will get locked too, people just can't seem to talk civilly about this subject
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Im Intrested In Civil Opnions Only Both Efi Live And Hpt Are Packed With Good People With Excellent Knoledge ...

I Am A Current Hpt User And Have Evaulated Efi Live I Just Wanna See What (if Any) Am I Missing In The Lsx And Diesel Worlds
Old 02-27-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

It Will Be Sad If This Thread Gets Locked... People Just Need To Be Banned If They Cant Controll Them Selves Ls1tech Is 100% About Expressing Tech Info On These Type Products
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
It Will Be Sad If This Thread Gets Locked... People Just Need To Be Banned If They Cant Controll Them Selves Ls1tech Is 100% About Expressing Tech Info On These Type Products
As stated above it will get locked. Read the sticky at the top of this forum.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/368718-read-me-best-ls1-tuning-software-best-scanner-best-handheld.html
Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IAT/VE Multiplier for SD tunes. HPT doesn't have this and there is no way in hell I would send a customer out in the field if they were going to be drivng around in large temperature swing conditions without it. The addition of this table by EFI LIVE is the way a SD tune can work in any climate conditions.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

ive never used efi live but have never ran into a situation that i could not tune with hpt. i am very please with hpt software.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

OK THERES 3... FOR EFI LIVE

Originally Posted by macca_779
IAT/VE Multiplier for SD tunes. HPT doesn't have this and there is no way in hell I would send a customer out in the field if they were going to be drivng around in large temperature swing conditions without it. The addition of this table by EFI LIVE is the way a SD tune can work in any climate conditions.

HOW DOES EFI LIVE'S AUTO VE FEATURE COMPARE TO HPT'S RTT FEATURE?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Also I Like Efi Lives Black Box Data Logging...
Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Efi Costs More
Hpt Writes Are Generally Quicker
More People In The Lsx World Use Hpt As Of Now So There Is A Better Knoledge Base
Old 02-28-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't compare, it actually tunes it for you, and puts it in the real calibration, not a place where it needs to be copied/pasted to the real calibration, not in ram, it can be used on all pcm functions (provided you have a roadrunner)

Write times with a efi/roadrunner are 12 seconds full image, or so, 5 seconds calibration, and realtime in emulator mode.

EFI is more engineering based, and HPT is more consumer friendly.

Ryan
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Also I Like Efi Lives Black Box Data Logging...
HPT has that too...

I'd tend to agree with the consumer friendly vs. engineering based approaches of each company. They both have a place in this world.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Also Does Hpt Plan On "catching Up" In These Areas?
I don't think they ever plan on releasing the types of custom operating systems EFI has available. Honestly, I'm not sure what their strategy is right now. It seems as of late that they have chosen to focus on expanding their vehicle support so that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can tune their 2004 Buick Rainier or 2003-2004 Isuzu Ascender or other random cars. They haven't really developed their scanner anymore in a long time, which is sorely lacking in some areas like transient filters that people have been asking for for a long time.

That is really my only complaint with HPT...they seem to focus more on a broad base of vehicles instead of trying to improve what they have. If you want to stir up a heated topic, ask where HPT's autotune is...and it won't be coming out in this next release either.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

I have been using EFILive for years. I love it. I am running COS5 and SD. You do need a WD O2.

Bill
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Please clarify what you mean by Auto VE?

Slow thinks your referring to the autotune feature for use with moates roadrunner setup.

EFI's AutoVE is generally referred to in hptuners as copy & paste special.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll keep this brief.

We have done some minor improvements to the scanner recently, and are scheduled to give it some of the other updates users have been asking for.

We have also been busy with the hiring of new engineers and expanding into a new larger facility.

We were at a point were our load was bigger than our allocated resource pool, however I believe we have at least balanced that equation with the hiring of sales and support staff as well as an engineer. With the hiring of more engineers here in the near future we hope to alleviate most of the growth vs product development issues.

Our goal is not to provide tuning solutions for every tom, dick and harry.. but to provide a complete tuning solution for our customers and shops. For a shop that has learned how to use HP Tuners on a GM vehicle, the transition to a Ford, Dodge, or other platforms we intend to support will not be as difficult as moving to a different software package on those new vehicles.

Steve, I can assure you we are enthusiasts as much as you are. We have cars we like to mod and play with, we like to race, we like to hang out with other enthusiasts.. and we do have a long list of improvements we want to implement on existing products that we are dying to tackle.. I think there is a lot we can do in the datalogging arena. G-force meters, road racing, etc... We already have a lot of the info and plans in place to accomplish some great things in data acquisition and believe that once we have these new engineers hired we'll be releasing some really neat things.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Magnus
Steve, I can assure you we are enthusiasts as much as you are. We have cars we like to mod and play with, we like to race, we like to hang out with other enthusiasts.. and we do have a long list of improvements we want to implement on existing products that we are dying to tackle.. I think there is a lot we can do in the datalogging arena. G-force meters, road racing, etc... We already have a lot of the info and plans in place to accomplish some great things in data acquisition and believe that once we have these new engineers hired we'll be releasing some really neat things.
Thank you very much for the reply (I was hoping you'd chime in). Sometimes I wonder what's going on internally, especially when I get antsy for new toys to play with I look forward to the future progress.