PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach gets stuck on long trips. Electical or needle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tach gets stuck on long trips. Electical or needle problem?

Just like the title says - on long trips, my tach needle tends to 'stick'. Doesn't rev with the engine, just seems like it tries to keep up but is 'sticking' along the way. Don't really know how else to describe it. Only happens on 2+ hr trips, especially if RPMS stay above 2.4k for more than a couple minutes. Otherwise, it works fine. Whiteface gagues are on there but I doubt that's the issue.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the procerdure for install is for those white face guages, but I have seen quite a few "sticky" ones...
Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frost
I don't know what the procerdure for install is for those white face guages, but I have seen quite a few "sticky" ones...
Should a shift light still work properly if the tach isn't displaying proper RPMs? Would it matter what brand?
Old 03-11-2008, 06:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure it'll work fine. I like Harlan's shift light personally.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

hey. know this is a old thread. just had my speedometer needle sticking becuz I put the BEM performance white face gauge overlay on my gauges. At the same time I was changing out my original V6 cluster to finally a V8 cluster assembly since I did a swap in '10. So I get everything hooked up and drive down the interstate and it was no way I could tolerate what happend. It would stay at 68mph when i'm going 78. so sporadically unresponsive. I couldn't rely on it at all. I took out the face part and THAT ONLY. the face had the stepper/pointer motor on it and the needles on the other side of it. You can just leave the rest of the cluster assembly "plugged in" the car. So I took out the stepper motor for the needle and compared it to the one I had in my original V6 Cluster with a multimeter. it had nearly the same ohms across the 4 points in comparison to the V8 speedo stepper motor. And the key thing that made this stepper motor not stick was that when you put the needle back on it with just the motor and needle in your hand, the needle spins so much more loose. Spins without any friction/resistance so I thought "hey thats what I need". Thought if anything, this stepper motor wouldn't cuz the needle to stick if spends so freely. So I used the V6 stepper motor in a V8 cluster and it works perfect. just go to junkyard and get even a V6 cluster face. Maybe even bring a ohm meter with you and just replace the stepper motor with one that spins more loose and has the same resistance over the 4 points.

Quick Reply: Tach gets stuck on long trips. Electical or needle problem?