PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Help choosing headers for NC emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008 | 09:55 AM

Default Help choosing headers for NC emissions

I need to know wether to get race or emissions style headers for here in NC. In my county they hook to the obd port and all readiness codes have to be set. If i go with race style will my car pass if I have the air, egr, and rear o2's tuned out? The visual inspection is no problem as I work for a franchise car dealer. So I will be fine without cats as long as i can pass the obd test. Right now I have the ASA cam with !cats and tsp rumbler.
Old 04-11-2008 | 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

you will need to leave the air module on your car, what you can do is get a set of headers with a y-pipe that has cats, because most people check that.

most people aren't going to be looking for the air ports on the exhaust, they won't care.

if I could do my car over again (currently kooks headers 1 3/4 WITH air ports) I would get the QTP headers in 1 7/8 WITH air ports, as WITH CATS you need something else just besides exhaust going over them to cool them off

you can get a tuner to make you or tune your car with an emissions tune, where all the readiness tests are ready no matter what, but i do not recommend just driving around with this tune, as if something does go wrong you will want to know about it
Old 04-11-2008 | 11:18 AM

The QTP's are what I am looking to get but I want the y pipe with the dual cut outs so bad! What if I get the headers with air and egr fittings to keep them but run no cats and get sims, would that work? Like I say I work at a franchise dealer so as long as it passes the obd test, I will be fine with everything else.
Old 04-11-2008 | 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

the problem comes down to the SHOP doing the inspection, if they WANT to see CATS then you are screwed. I do have my rear 02s deleted, i got questioned about them but they didn't pursue.

OR, you can find the old cats from old cars... they have a shell that surrounds them. get the shell and weld it on your exhaust voila you now have cats

but yeh if you work there then go for it. just make sure your tuner or your has been driven so the readiness tests show ready